Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shooting from a vehicle

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Re: Shooting from a vehicle

Oh so I'm ok after using the box of my truck for a rest to kill a coyote at 110 yards yesterday morning..........
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

It is illegal to discharge a firearm from a motor vehicle.

HARD NO BUD !
    JOIN US AT CRSPORTFISHING.CA

Quote Originally Posted by Drillbit View Post
    The CO statement was posted in the last thread about this by Gatehouse.
    Here is Gatehouse's post

10-13-2017, 10:43 PM
    Gatehouse
    Mmmm...Beer

Join DateMar 2004LocationPemberton BCPosts2,048

Re: Stewart Lake CO,s and tickets

I write to clarify the opinion provided on September 10, 2009, regarding the use of a motor vehicle as a rest for the discharge of a firearm.

After further discussions with the COS and legal counsel the interpretation provided previously may not have been completely accurate. An individual is probably not breaking the law if they lean against a vehicle to steady their shot, provided both feet are on the ground. There is a possibility that the term “in or on” applies to the person and not the firearm.

However, this is not a recommended practice as there is a limited field of vision in an area where there is a high likelihood of other people being present. This activity comprises only a portion of a hunt, and as with every situation, the actions of a Conservation Officer would reflect specific circumstances

Regards,

Stephen MacIver
    Fish and Wildlife Branch
    Ministry of Environment
    (250) 387-9767

I get that they don't want anyone discharging a firearm FROM a vehicle.. ie: road hunting, But seriously if I'm out in the bush target shooting outside of hunting season and I set up my steel plate and balloons and then use my truck lift gate as a bench rest what is the big deal!?

I guess those hillbillies I saw a few years ago who were leaning out of their vehicle, WHILE it was driving down the road, and shooting at the birds that often fly in front of you as you drive, must have had some special permit or something, cause no person in their right mind would ever do such a thing....would they???
    caddisguy "I worry about predators wanting to eat me or bucks trying to take my manhood. "How was your hunting trip honey" ... "wahh I don't want to talk about it... sob ""

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I think I'll run this past the CO, and report back here.

Sub question to this
    I think I know the answer but am curious as to how others view it. - a hunter goes for a ride on a quad, finds a nice area to view, and watch for animals. They are sitting on the quad because it’s more comfortable than the stump they are parked near. An hour or so goes by and a deer appears that they want to shoot at. Do you think the guy would be busted for shooting off of the quad? I see this as a very common occurrence even though it may not be perfectly legal.

Quote Originally Posted by srthomas75 View Post
    Sub question to this
    I think I know the answer but am curious as to how others view it. - a hunter goes for a ride on a quad, finds a nice area to view, and watch for animals. They are sitting on the quad because it’s more comfortable than the stump they are parked near. An hour or so goes by and a deer appears that they want to shoot at. Do you think the guy would be busted for shooting off of the quad? I see this as a very common occurrence even though it may not be perfectly legal.
    No different than shooting from inside the truck.
    Quote Originally Posted by burger View Post
    Sorry Ozone you are correct

Common sense is a huge factor with most of the questions asked.....