Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shooting from a vehicle

Shooting from a vehicle

It's probably been asked a 100 times, but I'd like to get it from an official source: is it legal to rest your rifle on the vehicle (open door, hood, etc.) when shooting game? I know the regs say no shooting from a vehicle. Does that mean step away from the vehicle, or have both feet on the ground?

I've heard yes, no, and maybe. But I'd like to read the factual regulations. Opinions don't count for much with the CO, just his.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Shooting from a vehicle

Given that hunters have been fined for simply leaning a rifle against a vehicle with cartridges in the clip attached to the rifle, I don't see how you're going to get a different answer i.e. it's legal, for shooting off a vehicle.

anything you have heard like YES or MAYBE is from uninformed people. The answer is NO, you will also be charged if your firearm has cartridges in it and is leaning against the vehicle and your not near it. If it has any ammunition in it at all its illegal to be touching the vehicle. Doesn't matter what the circumstance is if you or the firearm is touching the vehicle its illegal if it has a cartridge in it.
    Their steaks, roasts and burger to me! Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Georooney View Post
    It's probably been asked a 100 times, but I'd like to get it from an official source: is it legal to rest your rifle on the vehicle (open door, hood, etc.) when shooting game? I know the regs say no shooting from a vehicle. Does that mean step away from the vehicle, or have both feet on the ground?

I've heard yes, no, and maybe. But I'd like to read the factual regulations. Opinions don't count for much with the CO, just his.
    Then you're asking in the wrong place! K

It's Unlawfull "To discharge, carry or have in possessiona firearm containing live ammunition in its
    breech or in its magazine attached to the
    firearm, in or on a railway car, motor vehicle,
    sleigh, aircraft, bicycle or other conveyance."

I think leaning on a vehicle would be considered "on" the vehicle.

Target shooting as well? or just hunting? Shooting is shooting, so what you are shooting at does not matter, agree? I know more than a few people who use the tailgate as a table and have shot targets while leaning over the hood of a truck. Are they risking a fine as well?

This is what I've heard.
    Buddy was charged with shooting off of the hood of his truck, in court he wasn't convicted, because he had a jacket on the hood and he also had a jacket on his body.

So technically he, nor his rifle was touching the truck.
    This is what I've heard.
    And f350ps, is correct, wrong place to ask, because of so many "I've heard stories"
    I'd like to see a e-mail, letter, etc, from a CO for the answer, before I'd use a vehicle for a stable-ish rest.

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk View Post
    anything you have heard like YES or MAYBE is from uninformed people. The answer is NO, you will also be charged if your firearm has cartridges in it and is leaning against the vehicle and your not near it. If it has any ammunition in it at all its illegal to be touching the vehicle. Doesn't matter what the circumstance is if you or the firearm is touching the vehicle its illegal if it has a cartridge in it.
    OH really? My brother has a circumstance and permit with which he can legally load and discharge a firearm from a vehicle (amputee). Lets make sure we dot i's and cross t's here. It is legal for some with the correct permit.

Four different permits, issued under the Permit Regulation are available to disabled hunters, should they meet the criteria:

• Discharge a firearm from a motor vehicle
      • This is intended for those persons who are unable to safely exit a motor vehicle to shoot (e.g., paraplegics)

• Use a motor vehicle to hunt in areas closed to motor vehicles
      • This is primarily intended for those persons who are unable to walk very far without mobility assistance (e.g., cane, walker, crutches, wheelchair, or prosthetics)

• Be assisted by having one or more hunting companions, to track, kill and retrieve big game wounded by the disabled person (open or closed area)
      • This is primarily intended for those persons who are unable to walk very far without mobility assistance (e.g., cane, walker, crutches, wheelchair, or prosthetics)

• Be assisted by having one or more designated (proxy) hunting companions, to hunt and kill big game on behalf of the disabled person
      • This is intended for those persons who are completely unable to discharge a firearm or crossbow due to their physical disability (e.g., quadriplegics, double arm amputee)

http://www.frontcounterbc.gov.bc.ca/...-permit/print/
    "Just ask anybody who packs a 338... the 30-06 will bounce off a grizzly!"

"I am not here to awaken sheep, I am here to awaken sleeping lions" Husky7mm

I have asked this same question to the head CO in region 3. Unfortunately I did not save his email.

His answer was "if you are in a safe place to shoot i.e. a clearcut etc you are fine. he said he would rather see someone get a good rest then shoot freehand at an animal. Both feet must be on the ground.

He said most guys that get charged with shooting from a vehicle are already doing something illegal like shooting from a highway etc.

If it was me I would email the CO's and get their answer in writing. It would be hard and or stupid for a CO to give you a ticket in the field when you pull out an email from his boss saying its perfectly fine to do. Or if it went to court you could just show the judge the email and it would be your "get out of jail free card".

Like I said contacts the head CO of the region you hunt and see what he says.

BHB
    Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Are you M or F? Might get more takers with tits.

The CO statement was posted in the last thread about this by Gatehouse.

It said as long as your feet are on the ground and you're holding the rifle you can lean on the hood to shoot. The gun technically wouldn't be touching any part of the vehicle.