Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Shooting from a vehicle

Re: Shooting from a vehicle

I think I'll run this past the CO
    You could run it past several C.Os. and get several different answers

A couple of years ago I was checked out by two CO's , while I was sighting in my rifle in a gravel pit. Had my spotting scope on my window mount and was using my dry box as a rest. Nothing was said about doing anything illegal; they checked out my hunting license and tags and said I was good to go. One even looked thru the spottingscope and commented on my shooting. Good backstop, clear field of view , not shooting across a road. I was not shooting from "in the vehicle", and obviously had both feet on the ground.
    A loaded firearm not in your control is an accident waiting to happen. Have you ever seen a rifle that was leaning against something fall over? I have. Don't trust safeties . Open the bolt or in the case of autoloaders and such, unload them before leaning them against something. If I have to lean my rifle up against the truck , the barrel goes in the side of the tire tread .

With all due respect Linksman313 were talking here about the law that controls the general population. There are always exceptions but this guy was asking about the norm as he did not mention he had any exception. I have hunted with and assisted disabled hunters and killed moose for others as well on there behalf and its wonderful that the ministry includes the exceptions for these folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Linksman313 View Post
    OH really? My brother has a circumstance and permit with which he can legally load and discharge a firearm from a vehicle (amputee). Lets make sure we dot i's and cross t's here. It is legal for some with the correct permit.

Four different permits, issued under the Permit Regulation are available to disabled hunters, should they meet the criteria:

• Discharge a firearm from a motor vehicle
      • This is intended for those persons who are unable to safely exit a motor vehicle to shoot (e.g., paraplegics)

• Use a motor vehicle to hunt in areas closed to motor vehicles
      • This is primarily intended for those persons who are unable to walk very far without mobility assistance (e.g., cane, walker, crutches, wheelchair, or prosthetics)

• Be assisted by having one or more hunting companions, to track, kill and retrieve big game wounded by the disabled person (open or closed area)
      • This is primarily intended for those persons who are unable to walk very far without mobility assistance (e.g., cane, walker, crutches, wheelchair, or prosthetics)

• Be assisted by having one or more designated (proxy) hunting companions, to hunt and kill big game on behalf of the disabled person
      • This is intended for those persons who are completely unable to discharge a firearm or crossbow due to their physical disability (e.g., quadriplegics, double arm amputee)

http://www.frontcounterbc.gov.bc.ca/...-permit/print/
    Their steaks, roasts and burger to me! Tom

Quote Originally Posted by 303savage View Post
    You could run it past several C.Os. and get several different answers
    Thats right i have been thru it . i called 3 COs on a question and got 3 different answers
    " Never tell me the Odds "

The answer will depend on the CO that you're dealing with at the time.
    You may end up in court to get another opinion.
    I use my vehicle as a rest if needed, it's all about safety first.

Get out of your truck take a knee or rest off something that is not the vehicle and you will never be debating legality with a CO/cop. If you want to always have a rest keep shooting sticks in your truck

Do the above and you won’t have to worry