Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elk Hunting. North vs. East

Elk Hunting. North vs. East

Morning all, hope everyone's hunting season is going good. I'm looking at passing on sheep/goat next year and getting into Elk hunting. Picked up a wall tent and stove already and practicing my calling.
    We are thinking of hunting them pre rut and into the rut. We were looking at heading North above Chetwynd/Fort Nelson but are now considering the East Kootenays. Have a couple questions for those who are knowledgeable on this. We would have a main camp set up and have gear to spike out if needed as well.

1) Is the rut times similar for both areas-Mid to third week Sept is my understandinig
    2) Is it still in the 30's in the EK, making game care more of a concern

Cheers, Rob
    Not All Who Wander Are Lost

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Elk Hunting. North vs. East

yes and yes .

I have hunted both but areas going back a few years.
    I would say yes to both of your questions, when we hunted in mid September in the EK we would get a full (4'x 8') utility trailer full of ice from the local ice rink and if I remember correctly it lasted the
    full time we were there we would lay our meat on the ice and worked great.

That's a lot of ice...lol. any thoughts on which area my be lower in hunting pressure? (Probably a dumb question as I would think both get hit hard)

Fall equinox in 2018 is Sept22, you'd want to plan your hunt to be there for the 5-8 days leading up to this date for peak 'rut action'

Worth every penny : https://www.storeitcold.com/product/coolbot-walk-in-cooler-controller/

"If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Agree with the others. Yes to both questions. In addition to Tod's comments above, pay attention to the moon cycle when planning your hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by J_T View Post
    Agree with the others. Yes to both questions. In addition to Tod's comments above, pay attention to the moon cycle when planning your hunt.
    best to go when it isnt a fuller moon or the other way..a

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Morning all, hope everyone's hunting season is going good. I'm looking at passing on sheep/goat next year and getting into Elk hunting. Picked up a wall tent and stove already and practicing my calling.
    We are thinking of hunting them pre rut and into the rut. We were looking at heading North above Chetwynd/Fort Nelson but are now considering the East Kootenays. Have a couple questions for those who are knowledgeable on this. We would have a main camp set up and have gear to spike out if needed as well.

1) Is the rut times similar for both areas-Mid to third week Sept is my understandinig
    2) Is it still in the 30's in the EK, making game care more of a concern

Cheers, Rob
    Rut time is the same yes
    it can be hot in the EK you bet

Ive hunted and struck out in both places, elk are smart and you need to find the right area to hunt them. The more you are willing to hike and work for it, the better your chances will be. They are both busy busy places
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darksith View Post
    Rut time is the same yes
    it can be hot in the EK you bet

Ive hunted and struck out in both places, elk are smart and you need to find the right area to hunt them. The more you are willing to hike and work for it, the better your chances will be. They are both busy busy places
    thanks, we have no issues hiking or spiking out and would prefer to do so.

Cheers, Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    best to go when it isnt a fuller moon or the other way..a
    Everyone has their thoughts on when it's best, either no moon or full moon. Usually when a hunter favours one moon cycle over another it's because it suits their hunting style. Under a full moon the elk can be more active at night. Which can be great if you're hunting style is to be out there listening and hiking in the wee hours. But, they can go quiet at daylight. Although sometimes under a very bright sky, elk lose sight of what is night and what is day. That can also play to your advantage. Hunting in a no moon cycle will have elk very active right at daylight.

Spike camp in an elk hunt is really just sleeping mid day under a big tree or on a ridge somewhere, chasing shadows to stay cool. Remember, anything you do out there, any time you are out there, you make a smell and that is the biggest give away to an elk that you are present. Garlic, coffee in the urine, booze. All contributes to spreading your scent.
    Last edited by J_T; 10-30-2017 at 10:35 AM.