Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Deer numbers?

Deer numbers?

Hey guys so it's been an unproductive year for me atleast so far. I'm using the same tactics as last year. Road hunting, hiking into areas I've seen good numbers of deer. And this year nada. I've been out almost every weekend and have seen maybe 25 deer. So whats the verdict guys and gals are you still seeing good deer numbers in your areas (region 3 and 8 ) ? have you noticed better numbers the farther from the roads you get? Or did the fires cause them to congregate and now when you find them there just in high densities?
    Thanks for any input hbc

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Deer numbers?

I noticed more deer this year. More in the low lands and more in the alpine.

Pretty rockstar year for deer I’d say. Have seen prob the most yet in my seasons.
    2 in the freeZer. 1 tag left for mr big.

Try new tactics and keep your tried and true spots. But always explore and keep on the move You never know when you will find that next honey hole.
    Keep at er it only gets better from here.
    Good luck

Are you guys seeing them through out the day at all or only at first light and last light

Lots at first and last light
    and a bunch in the day time, just get into their bedding areas and you still see a lot more.
    Started seeing more daytime movement last weekend, I shot a mulie at 3pm

Alright I'm heading to a spot tomorrow that I've seen be productive the last 3 years. Hopefully atleast see a few does

Deer are there but there sixth sense seems to be more finely tuned. STEALTH.

Been out six times in October and have seen 6 bucks. No not 1 a day! We couldn’t get a shot at any of them. Two were really nice. Heading out again tomorrow maybe see 1 or 2 we can get.

I'll be completely honest with everyone on here filled 2 tags a 4 point Muley and whitey thus far but either deer numbers are way down or they have moved to different locations than previous years... In an evening I would hunt areas and see upwards of 30+ deer a few mule deer majority whitetails this year not the case . A few small bucks and does but I have not had a day over 11 deer and that's a full day . The cameras don't lie either one good example... one of many cameras I have set up that produces a fair amount of deer in a couple week period is seeing few deer like 1/4 or less in comparison to the past 7 seasons since I started using cams frequently ... predator numbers are up but I'm getting the usually wolves grizz and cougars nothing crazy ... I saw more moose this weekend than deer both days . Looking forward to more feedback ? The big boys start showing up on the cams within the next couple weeks hoping for a change !?

Alright liveforthehunt your onto what I'm trying to get at. I'm not the best hunter but I can usually find deer or areas they frequent but this year those spots are dry so I'm curious if I need to go that extra mountain range back or if they've just gone nocturnal and I need to be quicker on the binoculars in the am