Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I was published in the Vancouver Sun

I was published in the Vancouver Sun

Don’t let anti-hunters spread misleading information. Write letters and you will be heard.

I wrote a 681 word letter and they asked me to cut it to 250 words, but then they published it.

http://vancouversun.com/opinion/lett...rn-about-bears

2. Site Sponsor

Re: I was published in the Vancouver Sun

This was the original and it was more convincing, but they wouldn’t publish it at that length.

Recently David Suzuki wrote an opinion piece for the Vancouver Sun. Like many anti-hunting activists, David Suzuki uses a loose collection of facts to construct a misleading narrative.

While it is true that in the lower 48 states the grizzly bears were hunted to near extinction and are protected under the endangered species act in the US, this did not occur in BC or Canada where grizzlies have maintained a strong and healthy population. Scientifically conducted studies estimate the population of grizzly bears in BC to be at least 15,000 of which a sustainable hunt of approximately 300 can be maintained indefinitely without any threat to the long term success and health of the species. As apex predators grizzlies are naturally found in lower concentrations than prey species such as deer.

The charisma of the grizzly bear results in a highly emotionally debate around the issue of hunting. Bear meat is tasty, sustainably hunted in BC, and the hide and fat have a wide variety of uses. Additionally, hunters are the largest financial contributors to conservation and habitat protection. Hunters want animals such as grizzly bears to thrive and flourish in pristine environments and advocate for habitat restoration. Hunters also advocate for the long term survival and health of animals such as the mountain caribou, mountain goats, mountain sheep, moose, elk, deer, black bears, wolves and other animals which are not as charismatic as the grizzly bear. Every British Columbian wants our wild places and animals to be preserved and protected for future generations, but none fight harder for this than hunters. BC's hunters and anglers have a long history of working with biologists and funding environmental trusts in order to protect and enhance nature in this province.

It is important to differentiate between a lobby which is anti-hunting and pro-conservation. Anti-hunters don't want animals hunted for any reason including for meat, while conservationist want to protect, enhance and improve habitat and wildlife populations. Suzuki is clearly anti-hunting because otherwise he would be siding with hunters in the fight to protect habitat and wildlife populations through science and evidence based management rather than appealing to emotion with a misleading set of unrelated facts.

People who eat meat should consider where that meat comes from. I would prefer that my meat comes from animals which have had wonderful lives living naturally, organically and free until the end rather than from animals which have been raised on feed on a farm. The anti-hunting lobby appeals to the fact that people who eat meat have lost touch with the fact that no matter whether their meat comes from the grocery store or the forest, an animal has to die. While commercial hunting was shown to be unsustainable in the last century, non commercial hunting is a great way to add an organic and sustainable source of meat to ones diet. Additionally, hunting takes you off the trails and beyond our wonderful parks to see beautiful parts of the province which are seldom seen by others. Hunting also helps you think about the importance of the environment which sustains us all and gives you a deep appreciation of every morsel of meat which comes from an animal you have hunted.

Before I became a hunter I would have thought nothing of tossing out some leftovers which are past their prime, but now I would never allow a shred of meat from an animal I hunted to go into the garbage. Through hunting I have become an environmentalist, conservationist, and ended food waste in my household. I share meat which I have hunted with friends and family. I also share with them the stories of the weeks I have spent in the bush in pursuit of meat and the amazing experiences I have had. Many of my friends and family were hesitant about the idea of hunting until we shared a meal of wild meat and they were able to have many of their misconceptions about hunting resolved. I hope everyone will take the time to get to know a hunter and ask questions rather than jump to conclusions.

Thanks for taking this time to craft this and successfully get it published. We need more well spoken representatives to help change the image of hunting and hunters in general.

Bravo!

clear, concise, level-headed.

Thanks. I have been writing to politicians as well. I am trying to arrange a meeting with my MLA here in New Westminster.

Good work, well written. Thank you
    “Be more concerned with your character than with your reputation. Your character is what you really are while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”

Very well written, thank you for representing the hunting community so well.

Great to hear that they published it. Thanks for your hard work on this and many other efforts!
    WSSBC Monarch Silver Member
    WSF Summit Life Member
    RMGA Life Member

The mountains are calling and I must go - John Muir

Great! The message needs to get out, smart people like yourself are doing hunting and conservation a good service through clear communication of our interests and goals.

Good work i have been busy myself rousing my hunter friends with a letter writing campaign.
    BCWF
    CCFR

“I prefer the saddle to the streetcar and star sprinkled sky to a roof, the obscure and difficult trail, leading into the unknown, to any paved highway, and the deep peace of the wild to the discontent bred by cities…it is enough that I am surrounded by beauty.”
    - Everett Ruess