Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: I was published in the Vancouver Sun

Re: I was published in the Vancouver Sun

Quote Originally Posted by Ourea View Post
    It is a two prong approach.

1) Identify the issue.
    2) Platform the solution.
    You can add the lipstick far has how you pitch it.

The pitch on the issue.....

* BC is known worldwide for it's natural resources with wildlife being at or near the top of that list.
    * Despite our wildlife's iconic stature worldwide we simply take it for granted.
    * We make little investment in the resource as a result.
    * The resource is entering crisis mode with no plan and no funding.
    * The future of BC wildlife desperately needs a plan, the attention, and investment it deserves as our greatest resource.

The fix.....

Create a sustainable funding model where the sole beneficiary is wildlife.

How.....

*Take all license revenue and dedicate it back to the resource.
    *Impose a tax on all goods and services that are sold into the outdoor recreational market.
    *Insulate those revenues from Gov so the model can't get voted in or out.
    *Install a highly qualified third party group to approve projects and administrate SO ALL STAKEHOLDERS can submit wildlife enhancement projects for approval and funding.

The take away.....

You want your MLA to be clear on the message -
    We need to invest in wildlife, it is in dire need of attention, sustainable funding and a plan.

That's the simple bones of the deal.

First, thank you all so much for the kind words. I really appreciate it. It has given me lots of motivation in this effort.

Second, this here quoted above is exactly what I intend to say with the addition of "Science and conservation should be the only factors when it comes to setting policy on wildlife and habitat." Wildlife is not something which we should be managing based on emotion or political agendas. Wildlife and wild places should be managed so that they exist and remain healthy in perpetuity, and that hunters want this more than anything. The charisma of an animal such as the grizzly bear should not put it up on a pedestal where it receives special governmental policy or regulation because it is more calendar worthy than other animals or because some people have a perceived kinship with it.

I always find that the conversation trends towards us vs. them. Until I became a hunter I didn't realize how many people were hunters. That is half the issue. Now I see people all around Vancouver with BCWF, Ducks unlimited, Browning, etc. decals on their trucks. Now that I am a hunter I can spot hunters' trucks from a mile away. I think the fact that hunters have become seen as fringe rather than your neighbour or cousin has worsened this. I'm not suggesting we all start driving around town with bucks on the hoods of our trucks, but as Steven Rinella has said many times, venison diplomacy goes a long way to making people understand why you hunt and how normal hunting really is.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexPdHJ View Post
    First, thank you all so much for the kind words. I really appreciate it. It has given me lots of motivation in this effort.

Second, this here quoted above is exactly what I intend to say with the addition of "Science and conservation should be the only factors when it comes to setting policy on wildlife and habitat." Wildlife is not something which we should be managing based on emotion or political agendas. Wildlife and wild places should be managed so that they exist and remain healthy in perpetuity, and that hunters want this more than anything. The charisma of an animal such as the grizzly bear should not put it up on a pedestal where it receives special governmental policy or regulation because it is more calendar worthy than other animals or because some people have a perceived kinship with it.

I always find that the conversation trends towards us vs. them. Until I became a hunter I didn't realize how many people were hunters. That is half the issue. Now I see people all around Vancouver with BCWF, Ducks unlimited, Browning, etc. decals on their trucks. Now that I am a hunter I can spot hunters' trucks from a mile away. I think the fact that hunters have become seen as fringe rather than your neighbour or cousin has worsened this. I'm not suggesting we all start driving around town with bucks on the hoods of our trucks, but as Steven Rinella has said many times, venison diplomacy goes a long way to making people understand why you hunt and how normal hunting really is.
    Spread the word.
    Control the message.
    Build the hammer.
    Last edited by Ourea; 11-01-2017 at 12:53 PM.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

Outstanding letter. Thank you for writing it.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

great job alex...i also live in new west..How is Judy to deal with?

I just spoke to one of her staff today and got my meeting booked for November 24th. The person I spoke to seemed very interested and genuine. I mentioned the article and she asked me to send her the link via email. She had read my previous emails and letters addressed to Judy Darcy and she was planning to call me this week to arrange the meeting, so when I called she already knew what I wanted to talk about. I was impressed. I’ll let you all know how it goes.

I want to mention the Rookie Hunter podcast, Jesse Zeman from the BCWF, and Steven Rinella from the Meat Eater podcast and tv show for helping form my thoughts on these topics. If anyone wants to hear some compelling argument for our side which the general public can understand and agree with, these people are fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexPdHJ View Post
    I want to mention the Rookie Hunter podcast, Jesse Zeman from the BCWF, and Steven Rinella from the Meat Eater podcast and tv show for helping form my thoughts on these topics. If anyone wants to hear some compelling argument for our side which the general public can understand and agree with, these people are fantastic.
    I completely agree with the above listening suggestions. I might add Shane Mahoney of Conservation Visions as a very compelling speaker and a brilliant mind on the subject of conservation and the advocacy of hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenthumbed View Post
    I completely agree with the above listening suggestions. I might add Shane Mahoney of Conservation Visions as a very compelling speaker and a brilliant mind on the subject of conservation and the advocacy of hunting.
    Bolt on creating a way to fund conservation goals.....then we have something.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

Quote Originally Posted by Greenthumbed View Post

Absolutely agree. I have heard Shane Mahoney on a few podcasts and he is very well spoken and has a good message.

Great article Alex , this is exactly how we have to present our cause to those uneducated in the facts of wildlife . Thank you .