Thread: New to the forum and new to hunting!

New to the forum and new to hunting!

Hello fellow hunters,

I am very new to hunting but have found a passion for it! I got my licence about a month ago and since then I have gone on 5 trips.
    So far I have bagged a hare and made a stew but all other trips have been unsuccessful.

I went south of Princeton called Copper Mt. I had seen a lot of does, tracks, and feces but I had no success finding a buck. Lots of people up that way.
    Just came back from a trip to Chilliwack. I went up Tamihi creek in the morning and Sleese rd with no success of even finding deer feces or much tracks.

Its my first season and know that its a long process to become a good hunter. I am thankful for all the information I receive here and hope to one day give back.

Thank you

2. Site Sponsor

Re: New to the forum and new to hunting!

Welcome to the site. You will find tons of good information on this site. There are lots of great people on here that have years of hunting experience. I am new to hunting as well.
    Welcome again!

Quote Originally Posted by BStrachan View Post
    Welcome to the site. You will find tons of good information on this site. There are lots of great people on here that have years of hunting experience. I am new to hunting as well.
    Welcome again!
    I look forward to learning as much as possible! Thanks for the warm welcome!

Hi, just thought I'd reply.
    I think you can look at your trips into the field as learning experiences, and not as successful or unsuccessful. Learning to hunt solo (without a mentor) can be difficult, but not impossible.
    Every time out you're collecting data, on habitat, deer behavior, learning how to walk and look in the woods, etc. If you don't connect with a deer this season, you can be assured that next season you'll be further along in your hunting apprenticeship and more likely to meet with success.

So hang in there, enjoy the process, and success will come.
    We have a number of podcast episodes that are "how to". You may find them useful, maybe even entertaining. (we upgraded our mics around episode 12, so better sound quality)

John
    Highlander Hunting Podcast.
    on Itunes, Google play, and Podbean.com

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander Hunting View Post
    Hi, just thought I'd reply.
    I think you can look at your trips into the field as learning experiences, and not as successful or unsuccessful. Learning to hunt solo (without a mentor) can be difficult, but not impossible.
    Every time out you're collecting data, on habitat, deer behavior, learning how to walk and look in the woods, etc. If you don't connect with a deer this season, you can be assured that next season you'll be further along in your hunting apprenticeship and more likely to meet with success.

So hang in there, enjoy the process, and success will come.
    We have a number of podcast episodes that are "how to". You may find them useful, maybe even entertaining. (we upgraded our mics around episode 12, so better sound quality)

John
    Highlander Hunting Podcast.
    on Itunes, Google play, and Podbean.com
    TheCircle: as a fellow new hunter (couple of seasons ahead of you but still new), I would recommend you listen to these podcast episodes and read a lot of the posts on this forum. In place of an experienced mentor, you can learn a lot from these two things. Also check out The Rookie Hunter podcast, which is also a great way to learn. Both great resources.