Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Grizzly ever been Roared at?

Re: Grizzly ever been Roared at?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    When my buddy shot his grizz (39 yds ) in the spring it roared. I know it may be called a death moan or whatever but it was a horrifying roar followed by a very tense few minutes with rifles pointed as the boar went out of site. Cool now but scary as f@#K then. Lol
    You should have shot again ! With BEARS shoot till they Lay ! jmo RJ

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    Hmm lots of roaring in Bella Coola valley over the years fishing there. .when charged in Kwatna with Rob and Dave..aka big boar. .the 800 pound sow started her charge with a roar..
    The teeth popping is for me more associated with Quesnel Lake highland bears..don't know reason..i think more of a ..i know you are there..nervous behavior while deciding fight or flee..still ominous sounds..but better than sudden attack with no warning..
    Steven
    Ha that’s the word I was looking for “teeth popping”. Thanks.

Heard that sound a few times now.

The wife scares me worse when she gets wound up though.......................

Quote Originally Posted by two-feet View Post
    Been roared at by moose before. They can make some crazy noise when sounding the alarm
    Yes moose can make very weird noises....to the OP I've never heard the roar but I've heard low growls and the teeth popping sound that they do, really weird..

Twice in September, elk hunting in 7-50. First time we were walking back to camp after last light...we thought we had a bull patterned as we watched him for 2 nights come out on a mtn clearing just at last light. So the 3rd afternoon before the wind changed we went up there and waited for the late action, cow calling. He never showed, so walking out at dark, a bear growled and huffed in an agitated manner...couldnt have been 50 yds off our trail in the spruce. We both loaded, and carried ready, as we hiked past him and down off the mtn. 2nd time we were heading up a draw in the morning. Different area from the first. We knew there were bulls up there. The trail was well cut, heading right into some thick spruce. We got to the edge and a griz in the spruce started to huff and roar. It was close. We backed out quickly. Didnt see it, and it didnt follow us. We did see tracks.
    Not the same as a charge but was a first for me and nothing has ever given me the fear chills like knowing there is a griz that close, that I cant see, and its obviously pissed.

We had one in the area we were hunting in Pink Mountain. Heard the roar one morning while down in the low part of valley. Still gives me goose bumps....and that was 8 years ago

This was my grizzly year apparently.
    Getting to my tree stand in early bow season, I peered around the tree to see a blond head rise out of the willows 30 yds away. It was on an elk kill. l sweat a couple pounds leaving that place!
    A week later, hiking into a high basin in the dark with my son, a bear huffed at us a few times before standing up to get a look at us from about 50 yds. Couldn't tell in the darkness weather it was a black or grizz.
    Later that morning, after no luck in that basin, we were hiking up through a clear cut when we heard a roar that neither of us had heard before. It was close enough and loud enough to feel it in our chests. Not knowing what it was, we cow called and it roared back. This happened 4 times. Getting home, we googled elk roars - close. Moose roars - not close. Grizzly roars - bang on! Since we had a large 7X7 on trail cam in the area, we (not so brightly) decided to return the next day to have the bear huff and puff at us before crashing away in the dark. Three of us this time and we were all in a sweat.
    "Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye;
    Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark."

"A man's got to know his limitations"

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

I was roared at up in 7-24 moose hunting once, the associated charge scared me as well. Hair on my neck stood up! I backed out of there slowly, and with my 300 win mag at the shoulder! I have had 100's of incidents with bears over the years, working in silviculture, mainly black bears, that was one that left me instantly sweating! Moosin
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"

I watched two Griz fighting over a kill from about 60yds away, what an awesome experience, one big silver tip and an equally as big boar. The silver tip had claimed it but the other was adamant he was gonna get a piece of it. They would circle each other for about 5 minutes each time making the most blood curdling growls then they would really get into it. About 3 times they stood up and roared at each other like it was a competition! The show lasted for about 45 minutes then finally the boar layed down and waited his turn at which time I snuck out of there! Quite the experience!! K

Cleaned mulie buck at the meat pole late in the evening, getting blood and fat on my coveralls. Next morning while walking along a trail into a meadow, just at daybreak with same coveralls on, heard a faint noise behind me and turned to face large grizzly, at 15ft. we had a 2 second standoff, as I was raising the rifle he let out a tremendous roar, hesitated, and then bolted off the trail. still gives me goosebumps after 10yrs