Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Grizzly ever been Roared at?

Grizzly ever been Roared at?

Got roared at on our last trip. We hiked 5 hours up to what we call the game farm. Had a bull rubbing and grunting near the top then a bull grunting once in the farm. Too far up to shoot moose..were looking for grizz boars and bous...Willow was 4 ft ish..saw a sow and cub grizz 600 yrds away (will post vid when I get around to it). Had a cow moose running scared from us or other? We made our way through the thick shit down a moose trail through super thin and tight 10' spruce when my bro in law Rick Guage says guns off the packs? I say yep got that feeling too..he puts one in the tube as hes in the lead and I unstrap the rifle and pack my poles..30 secsonds later its hoof! n hoof! no hoof! for the next 3 to 5 minutes..3 of us crouch and stare into our 6' visibility..

I was the most scared id ever been in my life..thought about it and yep, never been so scared..I dont mess up when im scared even though im electric, i crouched, my other brother in law started walking behind us cocked and i said get in line dont shoot me! We crouched and waited...the bear never came...it roared! Like that movie the edge..thought that sound was made up.... I already thought it was life or death but after the roar I was convinced..normally I wouldn t waste a shot but there was 3 of us so I said warning shot? Yep was the response.. I shot and the 300 win mag seemed quiet without ear pugs.. the bear stopped for 2 seconds and continued hoof! n hoof! n hoof! you could hear the bear runing side to side cracking branches and goin crazy..

After those few minutes we decided the bear wasnt coming for us so we started back tracking...for the first few hundred meters we could still hear the bear..sounded like he was following..

After about 1000 yards away we couldn't hear the bear..

We had plans of sleeping up in the game farm and hunting but after that experience we decided none of us would sleep well in the papa hubba lol..

It was then that I earned respect for those that are true outdoors people and tent up in the game farm..We headed down..

So...we figured the cow moose was running because she lost her calf and we walked onto the kill..why the bear never left...

So..anybody else ever been roared at?
    "Our arrows will block out the sun!" "Then we shall fight in the dark!" K.L. Government is not the solution to our problem, it is the problem. R.R. “One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” M.F. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClJ...fYFveARiWyqjQA

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Grizzly ever been Roared at?

Been roared at by moose before. They can make some crazy noise when sounding the alarm

Yup life altering experience lol. We had a show down with a massive golden boar in barkerville. Makes you feel alive again

Never had one roar but heard one click it’s teeth. Very unnerving to say the least.

Yup....been roared at right at dusk hiking out from fishin hole in thick crap with couple salmon. Griz about 20yds away.....had rifle so wasnt too worried but definitely had my attention. Also had one hissing at me during stand-off .....me with no gun. He was PO’d but luckily a bit unsure. Followed me for about 2km tho and was 3km back to truck. Felt good to get there for sure.

You are likely right about it having wacked a calf.....luck was on your side for sure. Glad it worked out in your favour.
    …..better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Had something roar by Quesnel lake, was pretty wild
    I like drinking beer and whiskey, shooting guns, jetboating, love a nice rack and a tight line, I am simply a sophisticated redneck...

all in the space of several hours - heard a cougar scream for a while not far from our camp , I was kinda tired so didn't give a damn , my cousin thought it was kinda weird . Later that night a rabbit jumped on the tarp that was pulled over us to keep the dew off our sleeping bags ... woke us up a few times .... then a thunder storm broke right on top of us .. and oh yeah a grizzly was walking around our camp at dusk ... good times

Hmm lots of roaring in Bella Coola valley over the years fishing there. .when charged in Kwatna with Rob and Dave..aka big boar. .the 800 pound sow started her charge with a roar..
    The teeth popping is for me more associated with Quesnel Lake highland bears..don't know reason..i think more of a ..i know you are there..nervous behavior while deciding fight or flee..still ominous sounds..but better than sudden attack with no warning..
    Steven

Got roared at back in 2003. Had to walk into a cutblock that had been planted the year before to check on tree survival. My dog and I came acros a fresh bed from something on the walk in. Partway into my work my dog was barking and chasing something. That is when I noticed the back of a large bear (grizzly) running down a shallow gully about 50 yards away. The bear decidid it wasn't going to run anymore and put the brakes on. It got up on its hind legs and started roaring at us (as you mentioned, like in movies). Twice it made false starts like it was going to chase the dog back to me, but once I got the dog back it moved off into the mature timber. Fourteen years later I can still vividly remember that sound.

When my buddy shot his grizz (39 yds ) in the spring it roared. I know it may be called a death moan or whatever but it was a horrifying roar followed by a very tense few minutes with rifles pointed as the boar went out of site. Cool now but scary as f@#K then. Lol
    Not All Who Wander Are Lost