Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: scope recomendations please

scope recommendations please

Hey there, wondering what to buy to mount on a ruger scout in a 308 for my 13yr old. This is his first real hunting gun, want to make sure he has ample eye releaf and it lasts him for a number of years. Something robust enough to take some abuse, because lets face it he is13, it will get banged around. Budget is 500ish.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by xfactor; 10-26-2017 at 10:07 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: scope recomendations please

You'll get the best deal by shopping used. His young eyes probably don't need the best modern manufacturers have to offer, but solid peices have been made for a long time.
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricDyck View Post
    ....i dont buy ** fish ..its like buying your stolen tools back from a crack head..

Vortex Diamondback 2-8, or a used Leopold VXIII 1.5-5?

Leupold Vx2 2-7x33
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    Leupold Vx2 2-7x33

I was hoping you would show up. I noticed in another thread you mentioned that you liked this gun. Can you share any specifics on how you set yours up? Also can you pm me a price please. Rings and scope shipped to the lower wasteland...can you post a pic for my son please?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    Leupold Vx2 2-7x33
    I've got that same scope on my XLR in 444. My eye's are FAR older than your son's it's a good scope for both of us!!
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

Quote Originally Posted by Steeleco View Post
    I've got that same scope on my XLR in 444. My eye's are FAR older than your son's it's a good scope for both of us!!
    Wow, understatement of the year!
    [Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

If you cite things that happen in the US of A but live in Canada, then you might be living as an idiot in a great country. ..... clueless

Quote Originally Posted by xfactor View Post
    I was hoping you would show up. I noticed in another thread you mentioned that you liked this gun. Can you share any specifics on how you set yours up? Also can you pm me a price please. Rings and scope shipped to the lower wasteland...can you post a pic for my son please?

Thanks!
    Vx2's are in the midst of a revamp and probably won't be seeing the new generation until spring of 2018. I really like the Ruger m77 Scout rifles, I have the 308 and a 223. Both have the XS picatinny rail with built in ghost ring rear sight. I use Warne QD rings and swap a Leupold VxR 3-9x40 CDS and Leupold FXII 2.5x20 Scout scope between the two rifles. The Rugers ship with 1" fixed rings that will do up to a 50mm objective lens, you'd have to remove the rear ghost ring that comes attached to the rear receiver bridge on the m77. This is the main reason why I prefer the XS scope rail as I can keep the iron sights ready to go and still be able to mount any optic out there to the rail

"If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Depends on your pocket book...
    1..Night Force or Huskemaw...
    2...Leopold, Zeis.
    3...Leica, Redfield
    vegetables are what food eats.

Vx2 gets another vote from me. Also the Burris fullfield 2 is a great scope for the money .
    wonder what’s over the next hill?