Thread: Whiteswan/ White river keep us posted!

Whiteswan/ White river keep us posted!

So they finally reopened the roads past Whiteswan lake about a week ago. My brother and I are taking our kids up November 4th for moose (4-24 specifically) and deer, and are very curious about what's left in the North White - Middle White areas after the fires. Also would be good to know about road conditions up there closer to when we leave. If anyone has been or will be in the area before we go, any info would be appreciated. We know the area well, just interested in current conditions so we can determine where we will set up camp and focus our efforts. Also if the lake is frozen - we are contemplating taking a tinny and some gear to do some fishing if conditions are good. I will promise a detailed story with pics upon our return; if there is much of a story to tell!
    Thanks in advance.
    JP

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Whiteswan/ White river keep us posted!

Jim

My partner and I are leaving tomorrow morning and will be hunting just north of you in a portion of 4-25 for goats and deer. Hope to do a bit of fishing ourselves, but have no idea when freeze up will be.

Good luck on the moose

Lots of wolves in that country. Make sure the passenger is ready to jump out when your travelling to and from hunting spots... That will be the time when your most likely to catch them in the open. I missed my chance twice, you better be ready, they won't give you much time!

Should also mention that I did not see many deer out that way. I did see moose here and there but only cows. I was there for work though so not really hunting.
    Last edited by happyhunter; 10-26-2017 at 09:47 AM.

Lots of Moose in 4-24 you should have no trouble finding a bull

Pm sent, call or text me
    KCCO

How did your guys hunt go any luck.

I'll jump in with an update , I Jim P has been having issues with logging in . Hopefully he can get it fixed to post a few pics !
    So ,after getting robbed badly at the gates of the ferry terminal we were off! Travel was ok , had to dodge a few wrecks the odd detour , slip and slide up the Coq . Standard for this time of year . Arrived at white swan lake set up camp in a beautiful blue sky day . No thermometer on the trip but temps were definitely brrrrrrr ! The area we were drawn for was cut down drastically by the new vehicle for hunting closure around the fire perimeter . There was 6-12 " of week old snow , deer sign was heavy , moose sign was slim . The area we were familiar with was all now in the closure , so time to figure it out ! Drove around , looked for sign , figured out valleys , drainages , made some plans . AFternoon of day 1 the radio crackled whitetail buck down , so we headed their way to give a hand . A fine young buck ! 3 points . nice quick drag downhill in the snow . End day 1 . As luck would have it got some fresh snow , unfortunately it showed that most game had chosen to move out or at least down . Jim p had an opportunity at a 3pt 20 plus inch whitetail but it managed to elude his efforts . So new plan , Me and one of my boys were going to hike into the MVCFH area and look for moose sign . Jim P was going low with his son and my youngest . My family held the shared moose tags . No moose and very little deer sign in the vehicle closed area . Jim P saw quite a few deer that day , so we would start to focus further down the mountain . The week wore on with plenty of deer sightings , mule deer as well as whitetail , a few elk , 0 moose . So just before our meetup for lunch the radio goes off again 4 point mulie down ! Perfect timing , went and found them , made a fire cooked some lunch enjoyed the afternoon . Saw a few turkeys ! A skunk , hmmmm oh oh did I see a skunk . Well my nephew now had 2 deer and my boys are starting to ride me pretty hard about our lack of game on board . So the boys head out together on our last day of hunting and my youngest managed to get a tasty whitetail spike . Only his second deer so he was elated ! Found the trick , ditch the old man !
    Jim P and I stowed the guns in the camper and took a drive up through the burnt area to see how vast it is . Well it is HUGE as far as you can see up that valley looks burnt . Lot's of logging of the burnt wood is happening , it appears just roadside at this point , but salvaging lots of burn't wood . I don't imagine the road closures will come off for some time !
    Crossed fresh moose tracks coming out that evening on the mainline , still in the vehicle closed area , evidence suggests a pack of 6=8 wolves were chasing him down the mainline . Never did see evidence of a kill but the tracks would lead me to believe my moose draw is sitting in a pile of wolf shit on the mainline some where .
    Any how we had a great trip ! Lots of fun , first real cold weather wall tent trip for the boys looking forward to many more !
    Hopefully pics soon By Jim P
    Deano

Thats too bad you guys never had more action , As to your lack of seeing game is nothing new for this area . Numbers are way down across the board, Those who argue the fact just don't know or havnt put the bong down long enough to really notice .

The White River Area where the fire is/was, it is in fact "closed" now to "all vehicles"(for hunting)....correct?