Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Equal rights for all.

Re: Equal rights for all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lassassino View Post
    Just because of the fact they have higher inmate percentages and may have been wronged by residential schools does not mean that this is being fixed or even remotely improved by allowing them to do whatever they want in terms of hunting devoid of any rules. These are completely separate so why would you lump them together? Secondly FN groups are known for scalping, enslaving, raping and murdering women and children as well as wiping out entire tribes. if we as Canadians meaning (Chinese, East Indians, Africans candians ect ect who have had nothing to do with FN at all) as a whole have to some how make up for them losing a cultural and physical war is almost beyond comprehension.

Your premise that they need to be compensated because they have been wronged in the passed yet ignoring completely any wrong doing they may have done is hypocritical. How does this make any sense? What has been done is done, one nation one people one set of laws end of story.

Thirdly how long then is the magical number for them to finally "heal" 50 years? 500 years? 5000 years? the answer is never. Until we are treated exactly the same with the exact same set of rules starting now it will always and forever be used as leverage from FN and will face resentment by the rest of the Canadian population until infinite. Stop the guilt and start helping to work towards absolute equality under the law.
    Very well said, we shall NEVER have true egalitarian democracy here until this happens.

Let's talk another angle, how their fellow chiefs monopilouse the money and starve their own yet ask for more each budget?

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j...GVNoWrqzLMdZsy You should do a little research on how many natives fought in ww1 and ww2 and the treatment they received when they returned home compared to the other veterans.

If, you are commenting to me, I tend to use both serious, scholastic sources for my historical statements as well as anecdotal information from actual veterans, such as my uncles, father and many, many others.

I doubt that you have done 1/10 the "research" that I have and your use of "google" shows this.

It should be equal rights

Those going off about how FN in the past were treated yes it was wrong but no matter what is done now will not change it. Treating FN different in the past and treating them different now has done nothing to benifit majority of FN.

Reality is the best possible thing for all to move forward is equality. This is not disrespectful to FN either to be viewed as an equal is a sign of respect.

I agree with what your saying %100

BUT....

If its anything WE, your average joe need to demand equality....

the way the rules are now, we the majority are getting close to it....

hypocritical use of big words in court won these arguements in the first place

if anything the general public has to stand up and demand a dose of reality be added to the pot
    "Golf, what a waste of a perfectly good rifle range"

I'm the one sitting in the cut block glassing all the animals you spooked and didnt see because you dont get out of your truck

13yrs and counting in Canadian Oil & Gas...

Quote Originally Posted by radhimself View Post
    “traditional hunting rights”

your telling me my ancestors didnt hunt to survive back then?
    There wasnt any walmarts, safeways or mcdonalds....

So how the hell did they do it? Osmosis?

How the hell do i not have those same rights?

I grew up here
    were all alive at the same time
    how is it any different
    yup ! Rj

Since I have a little more time to respond now I will try and clear up my point of view and respond to a few of you I have upset with what I posted earlier.

Just because of the fact they have higher inmate percentages and may have been wronged by residential schools does not mean that this is being fixed or even remotely improved by allowing them to do whatever they want in terms of hunting devoid of any rules. These are completely separate so why would you lump them together?
    This is true that I did sort of lump them together although the reason I had posted was to call into question the sentiment that I posted in my original post of "screw you guys, that stuff happened long ago and it wasn't me"

I commented on the hunting stuff later on although was not too clear that I thought our actions as in hunting actions should be the same.

Secondly FN groups are known for scalping, enslaving, raping and murdering women and children as well as wiping out entire tribes. if we as Canadians meaning (Chinese, East Indians, Africans candians ect ect who have had nothing to do with FN at all) as a whole have to some how make up for them losing a cultural and physical war is almost beyond comprehension.
    So did your ancestors at some point and so did mine. I'm not sure about this point.

Your premise that they need to be compensated because they have been wronged in the passed yet ignoring completely any wrong doing they may have done is hypocritical. How does this make any sense? What has been done is done, one nation one people one set of laws end of story.

I didn't use the word compensated or any form of it in my post. I said we needed to do the right thing.

I think that after some reports of 90%+ of the native population being wiped out when Europeans came to NA and the way they have been treated up to this point by having reservations which only creates ghettos and segregation, the way bands are given lots of money and only a select few keep most of it in a lot of cases, I can understand why some don't like the white man and how many are in jail being brought up in a society that has bred them that way. We have not done the right thing.

Thirdly how long then is the magical number for them to finally "heal" 50 years? 500 years? 5000 years? the answer is never. Until we are treated exactly the same with the exact same set of rules starting now it will always and forever be used as leverage from FN and will face resentment by the rest of the Canadian population until infinite. Stop the guilt and start helping to work towards absolute equality under the law.
    I don't know what the magic number is but I agree with most of this.

Quote Originally Posted by BgBlkDg View Post
    The point is that you abrogate to yourself some imaginary "right" to decide what all we other Canucks "must" do and that is both offensive and unacceptable to me and probably many others.

I do not have the right to decide what e should all do, only the right to say what I think we should do.

So, given that is the 100th anniversary of probably the most horrific battle Canadians, ever fought, The Third Battle of Ypres, known with horror as "Passchendaele", could you tell me what specific C.E.F. battalion(s) your ancestors served in "over there"?

I'm not going to get into this pissing match. If you would like to call me a liar or question some of my family member's contributions to Canada's military and attempt to belittle it, go ahead. I will not do the same to you or your family.

I think that your comments concerning our supposed duties to the aboriginal minority are simply ludicrous, but, I do agree with your right to speak, but, not to the hectoring, self-righteous tone or content.

So?
    See some of my answers to Lassassino's post.

So did your ancestors at some point and so did mine. I'm not sure about this point.
    I cant quite tell if you're being sarcastic or you are not seeing the blatant hypocrisy. Europeans killed and enslaved FN killed and enslaved. Europeans get zero extra rights FN get many extra rights what exactly are you not understanding?

I think that after some reports of 90%+ of the native population being wiped out when Europeans came to NA and the way they have been treated up to this point by having reservations which only creates ghettos and segregation, the way bands are given lots of money and only a select few keep most of it in a lot of cases, I can understand why some don't like the white man and how many are in jail being brought up in a society that has bred them that way. We have not done the right thing.
    Exactly right, the fact we gave them their own little status on their own little land and classified them as different than the rest of the population is exactly the problem. They are being labelled as special and are being treated as such which is exactly the wrong thing to do. They should have zero extra rights and zero extra land and should be exactly equal to the rest of Canadians and the segregation would end.

Quote Originally Posted by quadrakid View Post
    https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j...GVNoWrqzLMdZsy You should do a little research on how many natives fought in ww1 and ww2 and the treatment they received when they returned home compared to the other veterans.
    If, you are commenting to me, I tend to use both serious, scholastic sources for my historical statements as well as anecdotal information from actual veterans, such as my uncles, father and many, many others.

I doubt that you have done 1/10 the "research" that I have and your use of "google" shows this.
    Quadrakid is actually right. My Grandfather fought in WW2 and he said when he came home there was no hero's welcome for him or any of the other FN Soldiers he travelled with. He said he watched all of them get off the train they were travelling on and there was no one there to welcome them home. He actually lost his land on the reserve because he had volunteered to join the army.