Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How many pins in your hunting bow sight?

How many pins in your hunting bow sight?

I've been getting out a few times a week with my new compound bow and have seen some steady improvement so far. The one thing I'm noticing is the 7 pins in my sight are a lot to think about even at the range when there is lots of time. I would love to only have one pin but do you find there is enough time to dial it in during hunting situations?

As a secondary question, since my bow is set at 55 lbs but it will go up to 70, should I start cranking up the draw weight until I find it difficult?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: How many pins in your hunting bow sight?

I have 4 pins, 10 yds, 20 yds, 30yds and and a hailmary pin

I have 3 pins set at 20,30 and 40 but I would like one more pin for 50.

mine has five, but I'm not good enough yet to use the bottom one

7 pins on a hunting bow is a bit extreme,,for target archery it'll hone your skills.
    your bow is set at 55lbs, although it is enough for hunting i would set it to at least 60 and shoot from that, todays bows shoot so fast i would eliminate a couple of pins for hunting situation, i am of course assuming your pins are set at 10yard increments with that many pins which is more cause for error by using the wrong pin at the right time.
    i am also assuming that there wouldn't be much drop in the first 50 yards of shooting from a pin set from 10 yards out to 50 if using 10 yard increments, not from 10 to 50 but from 10 to 20,,20 to 30,, 30 to 40 etc,
    on my bow i have them set at 20,,40,,60,,80yards,,not that i would shoot tan animal at 80 but it is fun hitting targets at that range, also i am shooting about 315FPS so the drop between 10 yard increments is very negligible.
    i used to be set at 30, 40, 50, 60 because my 0-30 pin (which has been 95% of my kills) was hold on the kill zone and hit it,,at 20 yards it was 2" high and anything below 20 you should be able to judge and hold on the kill zone just a little low.
    i could go on and on,, but i would try eliminating 2 pins,,keep them for spares.
    try from there,,where you set them is your call,,but a good start is 20 yards,,and up in 10's
    JMO...Cheers

Thanks for the advice. I don't find 55 lbs hard to pull at all so maybe I will just crank it up to 70 and see how it feels.
    They are set at 10 yard increments 20-80. Unfortunately the mission range only goes to 60 yards so I will have to buy a target if I want to shoot farther.
    So far I'm pretty close to being able to hit 6 out of 6 in about a pie plate at 60 yards almost all of the time with 4 being pretty close together. I don't know if this is good or bad since I've only been out 5 or 6 times total so far. I feel like a 40 yard hunting shot would be ok for me to take as my groups are obviously tighter at that range.

One, horizontal, 32" long, pointed with feathers

From reading, Even fast bows have ~4" more drop between 40 and 45 yds then another ~6" to 50 yds then ~12 more to 60, the gaps start growing fast
    Some shooters would like 30/40/45/50 but I'm a noob too so sticking to 20/30/working toward40
    Last edited by boxhitch; 10-24-2017 at 05:34 PM.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

I'm rocking 4 pins, 20-30-40-50 and find it ideal. I don't need to adjust for anything under 20, and practice ,regularly holding slightly high, if I'm going to reach out to 60 which is my limit when I'm actually hunting.
    Last edited by PKernohan; 10-24-2017 at 05:50 PM.

5 pins set 20 to 60 yds in 10 yd increments with the bottom 60 yd pin a floater for my adjustable sight. I mark the front of the 50 yard pin with florescent yellow paint to easily differentiate it. Just pick your pin set up and stick with it as it takes a while to retrain yourself if you add pins or change the yardage increments on the settings......especially under hunting conditions. I don't like adjustable single pin sights but many do. I like to practice at long range as it seems to improve my accuracy.