Thread: 7-20a Cow Elk Tag

7-20a Cow Elk Tag

Hey Everyone,

I know that there are some other threads on this and I have been reading like crazy. I was hoping to get some newer information cause all the threads I was reading were from 2008-2014. I went ahead and ordered a land map for the region so I can start looking into the public land and accessibility. I would like to be able to make contact with some private land owners but i'm still trying to figure out the best way to do so.

The plan so far is to google earth the whole area for hours and hours to find the best areas I can get into with the truck to set up a camp. I am not afraid to hike all day if the snow is too deep for the truck. I have had recommendations that I should be sourcing a snowmobile but that is very doubtful.

My understanding is to go to the coldest snowiest area possible and put yourself in the worst conditions and you will see the elk, is this true?

Our plan is to go December 1st and come back on the 10th but I am concerned the weather will not be cold enough.

If anyone can give me any input it would be greatly appreciated, I have never hunted this area and I am trying to exhaust all avenues for information. I respect all the time and effort that the members on this site put in and even the chance to ask for guidance is a great privilege.

Thanks,
    Blake

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 7-20a Cow Elk Tag

I'd get in touch with the local CO and ask if he has a list of ranchers that will let you hunt on their land. Elk can be pretty destructive animals and there are ranchers out there that would jump at the opportunity to get rid of a few. I've never hunted that specific region but it's worth a shot

Thanks Elliot Moose,

I have already contacted the CO's up in Chetwynd, Fort St. John and Dawson Creek and none of them have a list of ranchers to give me. I did buy a Survey map with the names of land owners, however I am trying to avoid cold calling the land owners. I don't want to be a nuisance.

I live on the Alberta side of your zone. Sounds like a heckuva a plan you've got there. The weather should be cold enough by then. The weather teller is calling for snow this evening and tomorrow. Find out where they're feeding then go ask for permission would be my idea. I don't know what bc is like for permission but in my area people are generally pretty good. Seems to me that the elk take on a lot of feed when the temperature is low so that helps a fair bit as they come into the fields earlier and leave later. I do know a little bit of the area in the south portion of 7-20a if you have any questions pm me and I'll try to help you as much as I can.

Hey Norwestalta, thanks for replying buddy I really appreciate it. I really hope that weather drops down deep for when we are up there. Ill PM you about the areas we are looking into.

Thanks Again,
    Blake

The reason the CO don’t have a list is because there isn’t any. 99% of farmer i have talked to in the last 6 years would rather the elk than the hunters. It’s sad really, the horror stories you hear from these farmers makes a guy sick. It is not impossible, but can be difficult. Best bet is to find crownland close to private and try and catch them crossing. But yes the colder and the snowier the better for sure. But i have found that in the winter they are a lot more calm, and you will find them out in the cut blocks and cut lines mid day.

Hey Canadiancon,

thanks for the info, I am looking for some spots that are close to the private property like you said. Hopefully I can find them!

Thanks,
    Blake

Hunt the Rice Road...a little further and hunt Stewart Lake area..there are elk in there, north side of the highway from the Ground Birch gas station.

Might want to bring a snowmobile. A foot of snow on the ground now and supposed to snow all week.