Thread: Home butchers - favourite sources for technique

Home butchers - favourite sources for technique

I can't be the only one around who finds the butchering out of my animal to be an exciting reward for a successful hunt, so maybe we can share some sources of inspiration for how to butcher and cure meats. There's an active recipe thread already so I won't go for cookery as much, but I think sausage and dried meat ideas can fit in here.

For breaking down an animal, I'm a big fan of The Scott Rea project. He's a pro butcher in the U.K. who posts heaps of walk-through style tutorials for all types of animals, foul, game birds, and some cookery too (pretty old school, heavy on fat and salt). I just followed this one and, apart from choosing not to hand saw my way down the middle of the pelvis, found it great: https://youtu.be/PoawhsmKIEY
    I saved two halves of the back straps and most of the two tenderloins to make Bresaola di Cervo, and if anyone is interested in trying their hand at air cured meats, this is an easier method that's good for beginners. I'm trying out the recipe from Michael Ruhlman's "Charcuterie" book, though I'm hoping to find a copy of his "Salumi" soon, and can't wait to see the results. Leave it on rub in the fridge for 7-10 days, then wrap in cheese cloth and hang somewhere cool and humid for a while until it loses 30% of weight.

Anyone else?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Home butchers - favourite sources for technique

For the men
    Okay you want to make sure you keep the kitchen area all nice and clean after you are finished up. You do not want the wife to give you that look. You guys know that look.
    Now don't use her fancy dish cloths and fancy dishtowels now. Paper towels are your best friend.
    Just bugging you guys.
    As we do our own butchering to.
    Nothing is like climbing a mountain, and then feeling like you are at the top of the world.