Thread: Proper feeding for working canines

Proper feeding for working canines

This is an article by one of the most respected dog men in NA. For people who insist on feeding twice a day maybe the link below is worth a read.

http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/documen...erformance.pdf

Dogs are not people. Their canine digestive system is entirely different than ours.

A good friend and retired animal Research scientist who spent most of his professional career studying animal nutrition agrees with what is written in this link.

If you want to do the best for your canine working friend you may want to take this article to heart.
    "Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donel fat"

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Proper feeding for working canines

Very interesting read. Thanks! Mike lardy is definitely not a newbie...

Thanks for the article Brian,

What kind of dog food do you feed?

Lorne
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Brawler View Post
    Just lob a couple loaded mouse traps at em like you're playing horse shoes. More humane than bouncing darts off them.

Quote Originally Posted by lorneparker1 View Post
    Thanks for the article Brian,

What kind of dog food do you feed?

Lorne
    I feed Purina Pro Plan Puppy. It's slightly higher in protein and fat than the regular Purina performance food. It's about $70.00 per bag.

A higher protein/fat content diminished the likelihood of soft tissue injury in very active dogs.

Another reason for this choice is that Purina is a big sponsor of the field events that you and I participate in.

My friend, the retired research scientist, has toured the Purina facility and tested the products independently and he claims it contains everything necessary to support a highly active competition dog. His opinion is Science based and independent of product sponsorship funding.

Lots of people will disagree but I prefer proven scientific based evidence to personal opinions based on how wet and cold "fluffy's" nose is or how shiny his coat is.

To each their own.

The most important takeaway from this article is to feed once a day in the evening, insure a high protein, high fat, quality food and to hydrate as much as possible before strenuous activity.

Hope your managing to murder a few waterfowl.....
    "Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donel fat"

Quote Originally Posted by labguy View Post
    I feed Purina Pro Plan Puppy. It's slightly higher in protein and fat than the regular Purina performance food. It's about $70.00 per bag.

A higher protein/fat content diminished the likelihood of soft tissue injury in very active dogs.

Another reason for this choice is that Purina is a big sponsor of the field events that you and I participate in.

My friend, the retired research scientist, has toured the Purina facility and tested the products independently and he claims it contains everything necessary to support a highly active competition dog. His opinion is Science based and independent of product sponsorship funding.

Lots of people will disagree but I prefer proven scientific based evidence to personal opinions based on how wet and cold "fluffy's" nose is or how shiny his coat is.

To each their own.

The most important takeaway from this article is to feed once a day in the evening, insure a high protein, high fat, quality food and to hydrate as much as possible before strenuous activity.

Roger that. I switched to 1, 3 cup evening feeding during the " off season" and 4 cups during hunting season over a year ago and seen a definite difference in stamina. I feed acana Wild coast and even with 4 cups on a 50lb dog I still cant keep weight on her.

p.s Puppies are all going home this week. Gonna miss them and wish I had one!

Lorne
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Brawler View Post
    Just lob a couple loaded mouse traps at em like you're playing horse shoes. More humane than bouncing darts off them.

Quote Originally Posted by labguy View Post

To each their own.

I think my 10 1/2 month old griff would drive me up the wall during the day wanting to be fed. She does that already on two meals a day. She's been eating 4 c of kibble per day for the last few months and still has a bit more growing to do but I've been thinking about switching her over to a raw food diet or possibly a combo of the two.

I've read that a lot of hunters in the States feed their dogs Purina 30/20 and have nothing but good things to say about it. Have you tried it with your dogs and is it even available in Canada because I haven't noticed it in the stores I've bought my food at?