Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Raw Food Diet

Re: Raw Food Diet

I know multiple dogs who have had slab fractures that have eaten RAW for their whole lives. I was also surprised when looking at one dogs teeth, how worn down they were, ALL the teeth. Slab fractures is a common topic on some of the raw forums.

Do any of you know the exact protein/fat contents of the raw diets and if so, what are they?
    "Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donel fat"

Quote Originally Posted by labguy View Post
    Do any of you know the exact protein/fat contents of the raw diets and if so, what are they?
    At the Tulameen cabin now, if I remember when I get home I'll see what I can dig up.
    Due to Molly's ( she's turning 15 this month ) situation vis-à-vis having a kidney and spleen removed due to cancer, we have to be extremely careful with the breakdown of her food, particularly protein - too much can kill her. Initially after surgery we had to take her off raw, on instructions from the Oncologist and Internist until she was finished her chemo rounds.
    She refused to eat the processed chicken feather renal food from the Vet so we had a long discussion with the Internist and Nutritionist to work up, and agree on, appropriate meals, with strict protein and calorie amounts. Bought lean beef and ground turkey, boiled it up and added vegetable supplements like Preference. Vet OK'd it all and suggested adding an Omega 3 oil product. Now that chemo is done ( no cancer found ) she's back to raw. Many years ago we would make our own raw but have since changed to manufactured raw from Companies that put the nutritional content ( not just listing the contents ) on the package. Easier, more convenient and safer.
    Other than the odd meal or snack or treat, we do not simply toss them a bowl of game meat or scraps.
    Some are proponents of Raw, some are not, some Vets suggest it, some don't, we feel that's a decision that should be made by the Dog owner with knowledgeable input from your Vet and after considerable research. Molly has been on raw since birth and has done well, when she was diagnosed with cancer, the Radiologist and the Surgeon couldn't believe that she was 14, they both ran her I.D. to confirm her age. The Oncologist asked the surgeon if Molly was a "typical 14 year old Toller" and the surgeon said "No, she's like a 10 year old." Obviously diet is only part of that, breeding, health care, genes and good luck all play a part in her longevity.

This is the CHICKEN BLEND

12%protein 10% Fat

Our chicken is sourced locally here in the lower mainland. Free range brown hens and layers. .
    Blends are complete with
    80% muscle meat
    10% bone ground bone
    5% liver
    5% offal including brain.

I am not hardcore RAW. Feed your dogs what ever works for them and you.
    I have fed every kibble known to mankind. LOL My crew can not eat protein kibble over 25% or they get the runs. 30% and their insides would be raw.... Lardy spoke about feeding when he was here so I do know his views on feeding

If I had big dogs or human kids in the house still, I couldn't afford to feed raw. Kibble is definitely cheaper. The jury is out on which one is "better".

Raw works for my three right now.

Back from hunting, took a look in the freezer at the RAW we have, all commercially produced.
    1. Turkey and Offal: Protein 11% Fat 7%
    2. Beef and Offal: Protein 10% Fat 7%
    3. Beef and Tripe: Protein 15.9% Fat 5.53%
    4. Salmon and Tripe: Protein 11% Fat 5.77%
    All the above also include various veggies and such. Ready to serve.
    One of our dogs has mild allergic reactions to chicken so we rarely use that.
    If and when we make our own from scratch we will use various protein sources ( ground beef, ground turkey, beef ............... ) and use protein and fat % for those items and add Preference or similar for veggies and such. Preference is 10.5% protein and 5% fat.
    Don't have the bag for the kibble that we occasionally use so can't comment on it.
    Agree with Kasomar, feeding RAW can be $$$ and yes, there's a lot of discussion as to what is "better."

Australian Cattledog and Deutsch Drahthaar, fed twice a day Royal Canin gastro food for Draht because of touchy stomach and Akana Wild Prairie for Cattledog. Dinner time, this combo for both but larger meals including, wild salmon, pumpkin, turmeric, venison,coconut,finished with treat of raw carrot and apple. Add lots of exercise with mental stimulation and so far their lean, strong,energetic, and thriving.....................
    Hitting is timing. Pitching is upsetting timing

Verein Deutsch Drahthaar Group Canada

(Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend)

Thanks for that info IG and Kasomor. Based on those percentages and given the level of activity my dogs enjoy, I will stick to the high end kibble which is 30% Protein and 18% fat.
    "Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donel fat"

Thanks for that info IG and Kasomor. Based on those percentages and given the level of activity my dogs enjoy, I will stick to the high end kibble which is 30% Protein and 18% fat.
    I found the analysis for the kibble, ( Acana ) it's 27% protein and 17% min. fat, so similar to yours.
    I guess it's all in the amounts fed, regardless of RAW vs. kibble ??
    EG, if I want to achieve a certain level of protein intake, we would serve @ half as much kibble as RAW ounce for ounce.
    If you want high protein, check out the levels in cat food, no wonder our dogs go nuts over our cat's meals.

Wish it were that simple but it's not LabGuy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasomor View Post

This is the CHICKEN BLEND

12% protein, 10% fat

Our chicken is sourced locally here in the lower mainland. Free range brown hens and layers. .
    Blends are complete with
    80% muscle meat
    10% bone ground bone
    5% liver
    5% offal including brain.

So the rest is carbohydrates,,,,78% seems like a lot of carbs. Quite a bit more than kibble.