Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Raw Food Diet

Raw Food Diet

Interesting video - 6:30 and 9:10 she gets to the hard facts...

I switched my DD to Raw at about 6 months after the Acana (also Royal Canin) started to result in a messy soft stool...

I continue to augment his raw diet with a small amount of Kirkland turkey kibble and also use the kibble for training treats... mostly for the probiotics as well as knowing he'll take a kibble meal if we are stuck with no raw in the woods somewhere... I may start giving whole chicken quarters a couple times a week as well...

Surrey Meat Packers in Burnaby and Cloverdale do a great job.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qx2YIIpF4cc

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Raw Food Diet

Our dogs have been "barfers" since birth, one will be 15 next month, the other just turned 8. The breed expectancy is 12 - 14.
    We used the Surrey Meats products for a number of years but stopped when they wouldn't ( couldn't ?? ) provide the nutritional content - they would provide the ingredients but not an analysis. Possibly they do now? Good prices on their stuff.
    With the old Gal only having one kidney now, it's important ( actually a matter of life or death ) to closely regulate her intake, particularly of protein and potassium.
    Since her surgery we've made our own cooked food while she was undergoing chemo ( Vet's advice ) and now have switched her back to one raw meal and one kibble meal a day. The only raw available in Hope is a product that is similar to Surrey Meats but the manufacturer wouldn't provide the nutritional analysis so we went to Mountain Dog which is available in Agassiz and is reasonably priced. Interestingly, the Dealer in Agassiz used to stock the "other" raw food but after enquiring @ the analysis and visiting the plant, he stopped stocking it.
    If you are concerned @ not having raw available "in the woods" there are a number of decent freeze dried products available - just add H2O and yummy.
    There are lovers and haters, including in the Vet world of RAW. Our experience, to date has been positive.

I've fed raw to three dogs now. Wouldn't change it. When possible they get free range organic. Otherwise I buy lots of cheap meat at Supreme in Burnaby, mix in 10% approx veg and grind it up. I use a lot of shank meat, which means I get shank bones for the dog as well. When I'm in a bind I get turkey necks, chicken necks and backs, etc. from Save on. The dogs do great.
    Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey

I believe you can feed fish (salmon for sure) 100% no other ingredients and it gives enough nutrients. The rest of the meats need to have veggies.

Quote Originally Posted by firebird View Post
    I believe you can feed fish (salmon for sure) 100% no other ingredients and it gives enough nutrients. The rest of the meats need to have veggies.
    I've heard from a number of people who do the raw food diet that salmon is one raw meat they avoid because of the parasite issue. I might need to do some more research on that to get all the facts. I'm going to be switching to a raw food diet once my pup is a year old. For now, it's kibble as the main stay because the companies through extensive research know how to get the phosphorus and calcium ratio correct which is extremely important for a proper bone growth.

There's a place in Mission called Trysum which is supposed to have a good product and from what I heard their prices are very reasonable. My griff sure loves the deer bones I've been giving her this hunting season.

IMG_0693 by Brent Davy, on Flickr

Just need to figure out when to take them away from her or even if I have to?? I noticed when she chews the condyles off the ends of the bone to get to the marrow that some of the edges look rather sharp. Not sure if this would be an issue or not.
    Last edited by mastercaster; 10-27-2017 at 10:18 PM.

I've never had a problem with my dogs eating raw bones, now matter how sharp they look. To be honest, I grind up salmon with the food as well. All heads and tails that I have left over from filleting go to the dog. In fact, it's always a bit fun to give the dog a tail. If they go about eating it right there will be a brief time when they've got a big fish tail sticking out of their mouth
    Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey

My dog is 70% salmon and the rest from a lady in mission who sells raw dog food.All my salmon I freeze for a minimum of 2 weeks in the freezer. Never had an issue in last 5 yrs. My dog is a 100lb lab pit bull.

2 year old golden lab, her regular diet is 1 cup of kibble 2 times a day. during hunting season, i bag all my extra game trim and her diet changes to about 6-8 ounces of raw game (usually a 50/50ish mix of meat to fat) with about 1/4 cup kibble, twice daily. her weight doesnt seem to fluctuate much and she seems as happy as a pig in shit..... until we run out of trim!

Quote Originally Posted by hunter fisher View Post
    2 year old golden lab, her regular diet is 1 cup of kibble 2 times a day. during hunting season, i bag all my extra game trim and her diet changes to about 6-8 ounces of raw game (usually a 50/50ish mix of meat to fat) with about 1/4 cup kibble, twice daily. her weight doesnt seem to fluctuate much and she seems as happy as a pig in shit..... until we run out of trim!
    My 10 1/2 month old 45 pound griff eats twice that amount (2 c. morning, 2 c. late afternoon,,,,,plus training treats) and still bugs me for more food,,,,,she can't afford to be any leaner than she is now being the super energetic dog she is.

I also know some guys feeding TRIPE- they get it free from the butcher

and

ground up FISH MEAL that they sell to fur ranches (carp, suckers, and other fish scraps)- "Mink rations" 70% fish