Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Toyota Tundra & Tacoma - real world feedback

Re: Toyota Tundra & Tacoma - real world feedback

Back in 2007 I bought a brand new Tundra TRD double cab down in the U.S. when a dollar was still a dollar. I put over a 125,000 Miles on it (200,00 ++ Kms) on it before it was wrecked in an accident last summer. I do a lot of back woods driving while out fishing and hunting, and it never let me down. I always ran 10PR Toyo M55's on it, plus had a 3 inch levelling kit installed plus really good Firestone airbags in the back. It was always loaded with something or other, and I easily got 20 MPG on the hwy, just by keeping my foot off the floor and doing the speed limit. It was an extremely reliable truck, and very comfortable. That combination of levelling kit, airbags, and really good 10 PR tires resulted in truck that had very nimble off-road capabilities when going through cross ditches etc. As a previous person on here noted, the angles of attack and exit are very good, and those trucks will just about go anywhere. When it came time to get a new truck to replace the old one, it was an easy decision to get another similar one. I now have a 2017 Tundra Double Cab TRD with the same 3 inch levelling kit, airbags and Toyo M55's. Again, it easily gets the same 20 MPG, and now with Toyota's new 144 L fuel tank, it goes a long way on the hwy between pit stops. There may well be other makes and models of trucks out there that do a few various things better than a Toyota, such as gas mileage, but when it comes to the overall package IMHO there are very few that have it all and Toyota wins that battle. Not only does a person want and need a truck that will get you back into the "boonies", but you really want one that will then get you back home at the end of the day. That is where Toyota and it's known reliability really shines. IMHO

Love my 2016 Taco. Great for everything - but gas mileage. It's fine unless i'm doing 75+ on the freeway. Otherwise I'm getting 18+ mpgs.

2014 Tundra stock 275 65 18 ,14l /100kms stay below 100kmh and you can even do better. Excellent 4x4 and ride .Had Dodge cummins before,there is no comparison as a 4x4.

My hunting partner had a Tacoma 4cyl 5 speed and it wasent anything to write home about. Off road it was very impressive, I've owned lots of full-size domestic trucks and this toyota was a sure footed Billy goat off road.

I didn't like the small cab though

I have the 4 cyl Taco with 5 spd as well, good fuel economy but certainly not a hauler. Great offroad as mentioned in previous post. Works for me, fuel price will never go down & I can live with less horsepower.
    Last edited by mike31154; 10-23-2017 at 11:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lip_ripper00 View Post
    my daily commuter is a 2016 Toyota Land cruiser P/U diesel, man if I could get one of these in Canada i'd be a happy man.
    Won't be a 2016, but there are Japanese diesel imports available. I picked up a 1992 JDM Hilux Surf years ago. Was my main ride for years . 2LTE engine had issues though, should have done my homework prior to purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajsawden View Post
    The mudflaps on the tacomas are too long, they hang up on EVERY cross ditch. I gotta find replacements as I tore mine off last weekend. Other than that I enjoy the Taco. It gets better hunting mileage than my ranger did.
    I can relate, tore off both left side flaps backing up over a stump. I recovered them though & bought the hardware to remount. Plastic plugs with a few bolts, seems like
    designed to pull out without damaging any sheet metal. Pricey bits of hardware but I like the added protection the flaps provide.

2016 Tacoma Trd OR AC, Manual Tranny. Factory 4:30 Locker. Has been an excellent truck. 265/75/16 Duratrac's. low 13L per 100k on a trip to Osoyoos or Cache Creek. Low 15's around town. Don't baby it as i am really heavy on the Gas pedal. Recent trip up north was getting 16.8 per 100k towing my trailer and 8 Wheel Argo. Not the best, but then I didn't buy my truck for its gas mileage or lack thereof.

Quote Originally Posted by mike31154 View Post
    Won't be a 2016, but there are Japanese diesel imports available. I picked up a 1992 JDM Hilux Surf years ago. Was my main ride for years . 2LTE engine had issues though, should have done my homework prior to purchase.
    With a little love the older 2lt engine are awesome. A buddy has an 82 pickup that's been swapped, and on 31s with 4.56 gears, a little turn up and a straight pipe it rocks! At also seems like animals are less spooked by a small diesel.
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

Quote Originally Posted by GEF View Post
    2014 Tundra stock 275 65 18 ,14l /100kms stay below 100kmh and you can even do better. Excellent 4x4 and ride .Had Dodge cummins before,there is no comparison as a 4x4.
    You can say that again!!
    watched a 2016 Taco's front end explode after hitting a WT fawn doing 80k outside town yesterday afternoon. Stopped and checked, driver/passenger fine (all airbags deployed) but truck is done, driver (male - hunter) super pissed that his main rig is smoked, glad he kept his '88 Taco out back. Had a good look at truck waiting for Tow to show, impact had no effect on cab (other than bags) and appeared to be well designed in the safety department. Would feel comfortable putting the wife and 3 year old in it anyday.
    "Just ask anybody who packs a 338... the 30-06 will bounce off a grizzly!"

"I am not here to awaken sheep, I am here to awaken sleeping lions" Husky7mm