Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Toyota Tundra & Tacoma - real world feedback

Re: Toyota Tundra & Tacoma - real world feedback

2008 Tundra 5.7L, with tow package (4.30 gears) my average mixed driving from over the summer is around 15L/100 KM with stock rubber, and I averaged as bad as 18L/100 last winter with 275/70R18's (10PR) and lots of very short trips where it didn't reach operating temp, and warm up time to defrost.

I've gotten 13.2 on two separate long highway trips, owned it a year, zero issues in that time and it's over 200,000Km. Power is abundant, smooth, and the 6spd auto transmission is solid.

Had 2006 Tacoma doublecab 4L 6spd manual with 10 ply 235/85R16's on it, I could get 12.5L/100 on the highway, but it's average wasn't much better than the Tundra. I only miss the Tacoma off the pavement for it's narrower stance, nimbleness and better clearance / approach angles, but then I can fit my quad in the back of the tundra with the tailgate closed, so... And for as big as it is, the Tundra is pretty darn agile.

I owned the Tacoma 6.5 years, and loved it. I had intended to keep it much longer, but a novice driver brought it to an abrupt end, and even then, I have to say I was very impressed with it as I walked from that horrible wreck.

Dollar for dollar, the Tundra is a heck of a lot more truck though, and I'm more than happy with it. For both, there is a good reason why you see so many around, yet so few for sale.
    Pretend hunter.

Went from 2006 xterra to tundra. Tundra is an awesome truck, gas and oil changes, eventually breaks. Super solid truck and built to last. Tacos are great but smaller and not as nice of a ride. Tundra is also much more capable as a tow vehicle.

I've been driving a Frontier for about 12 years and although it has been a great little truck it is starting to cost in maintenance and repairs. It just turned 100,000 MILES so needed the timing belt kit, and a rebuild on the rear end OUCH... about $6K by the time the fat lady sang. As you know the fuel economy totally sucks but really other than that great truck for what it is.

Having said all that my next truck will be a half ton or better. I find that the small trucks just don't cut it when loaded with a full trailer vs mountain passes. So in the Toyota the only one I'd consider is the Tundra. I'll be looking into a Nissan Titan and comparing that to the RAM 2500. I don't need the diesel package often enough to warrant the added cost and maintenance so it will be a gasser. Hopefully next spring.

Good luck with what ever you decide to do. I hate spending money on vehicles.
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

Absolutely love my 07 tundra, 230,000km curently and drives like its new ... i get 400km out of about 73 liters in town

my boat on its trailor is about 9300lbs, when i pull it my consumption litterally tripples ...
    JOIN US AT CRSPORTFISHING.CA

Wife drives an 08 trd sport crew cab long box. Tons of short trips, but she doesn't haul anything other than a stroller and the odd piece of furniture. Gets 14-18L/100km depending on who's driving. Has plenty of room in the back for the in laws when they visit, and the back seat is spacious too.
    The three piece tonneau cover is a piece of shit that always bends and leaks in the middle section.
    It's a small, maneuverable truck compared to my f350 xtra cab long box, but it's not like it's hard to park that either. Some folks just can't drive.
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hermit View Post
    I've been driving a Frontier for about 12 years and although it has been a great little truck it is starting to cost in maintenance and repairs. It just turned 100,000 MILES so needed the timing belt kit, and a rebuild on the rear end OUCH... about $6K by the time the fat lady sang. As you know the fuel economy totally sucks but really other than that great truck for what it is.

Having said all that my next truck will be a half ton or better. I find that the small trucks just don't cut it when loaded with a full trailer vs mountain passes. So in the Toyota the only one I'd consider is the Tundra. I'll be looking into a Nissan Titan and comparing that to the RAM 2500. I don't need the diesel package often enough to warrant the added cost and maintenance so it will be a gasser. Hopefully next spring.

Good luck with what ever you decide to do. I hate spending money on vehicles.
    Hermit, be aware of the Nissan radiator/transmission cooler issue if you have an automatic. We just changed out the unit on out ‘08 Xterra as preventative maintenance. About $1200 versus 5x that much if you get a “pink milkshake” in the tranny. Good luck with it. On another note my ‘04 Titan was great for 250,000 km, then ate my lunch money for the last 80,000 km and 3 years. Good engine and tranny, the rest was constantly failing.

The 2017 tundra get 13L/100km stock- my dad has one. My wife has a 2014 tundra and gets 15L/100km with duratracs. And I've got a 2011 tundra 4" lift on 35" coopers and I get 17L/100, that's running around hunting hounds.

Ive got just over 200,000km and only done the breaks 1nce and changed the oil and greased my driveline.

My dad had an 2008 tundra prior to the 2017. No issues for 8 years. Not even rust or ball joints, u joints.

They tow like a 3/4 ton.
    Last edited by firebird; 10-22-2017 at 08:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blockcaver View Post
    Hermit, be aware of the Nissan radiator/transmission cooler issue if you have an automatic. We just changed out the unit on out ‘08 Xterra as preventative maintenance. About $1200 versus 5x that much if you get a “pink milkshake” in the tranny. Good luck with it. On another note my ‘04 Titan was great for 250,000 km, then ate my lunch money for the last 80,000 km and 3 years. Good engine and tranny, the rest was constantly failing.
    I think that problem was only in the 2005-2007 Xterras and Frontiers.

Im following this thread, it's almost time to retire my 2001 Xterra.

hi folks:

I had a new 09 trd taco 4 door log box -- cost about 42k all in

no idea what L/km's mean.......I get 20 miles to the gallon - which is shameful given the Japanese could likely double that

when I tow my 15 ft trailer over the coq it gets to about 14 MPG (sweet)

the mud flaps are rigid and a joke and currently one is AWOL and another is just hanging by a suggestion (I have a supply of zap straps) - need to source some that have flexible lowers

only problem with the 09 was a wheel bearing went at 100k (apparently not a "common occurrence"....blah blah blah)

traded that one in 14 for a new 2014 one; exact same truck - they even switched the canopy

thus the beauty of Toyota ---- 5.5 years + 110kms + a cheque for 20k = new truck

resale value and few repairs really pay off in the mid - long term

overall they do not add bells and whistles like the others, yet seems to me that they have less problems too

the new ones I find ugly yet I will buy another one in a couple years

chris

my daily commuter is a 2016 Toyota Land cruiser P/U diesel, man if I could get one of these in Canada i'd be a happy man.
    [Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

If you cite things that happen in the US of A but live in Canada, then you might be living as an idiot in a great country. ..... clueless