Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Toyota Tundra & Tacoma - real world feedback

Re: Toyota Tundra & Tacoma - real world feedback

2013 tundra owner..tons of power, lousy fuel economy..traction control is awesome, tip toes up loose or icy sections with ease, tunrns off in low range for some reason? and then slides all over...stock rear bumper is a damage multiplier as rear quarter panel is attached and if you back into anything the quarter is gone too..pain in the ass doing oil changes as you need to pull a bunch of crap off first..brakes are awesome, trailer brakes stopped working and went down huge grade on logging road overloaded like a boss....added air bags, when you put 1000lbs in the box and tow 7000lbs its a bit bouncy..

Had a 91 diesel landcruiser previously....will never own another diesel or turbo vehicle again...too expensive to maintain and you have to wait for the turbo to get power..

I also own a 2014 chevy for work and although I really like the way the engine/transmission works everything else on the toyota trucks just seem to be over engineered and of better attention to detail.....

Only negative is fuel economy and price..
    Last edited by ElectricDyck; 10-27-2017 at 03:02 PM.
    "Our arrows will block out the sun!" "Then we shall fight in the dark!" K.L. Government is not the solution to our problem, it is the problem. R.R. “One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” M.F. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClJ...fYFveARiWyqjQA

Update

I test drove the Tacoma (Double Cab TRD Automatic) and Tundra (Double Cab TRD). Tacoma underwhelmed me for a vehicle the dealer wanted $48 k for taxes in. It just didn't feel like a vehicle worth nearly $50k. The Tundra felt like an extremely solid vehicle, but the price tag of nearly $57 k taxes in and the well documented poor fuel economy give me pause.

I took a new "leftover" 2017 F-150 (Crew Cab) for a test drive today. The dealer wanted about $47 k taxes in - less than the Tacoma. I know Toyotas have a sterling reputation, but the Tacoma left me a bit cold despite being the sort of truck (midsize, roof rack available, etc.) that I would ideally design.

Tough to know ...

Quote Originally Posted by glennw89 View Post
    Update

I test drove the Tacoma (Double Cab TRD Automatic) and Tundra (Double Cab TRD). Tacoma underwhelmed me for a vehicle the dealer wanted $48 k for taxes in. It just didn't feel like a vehicle worth nearly $50k. The Tundra felt like an extremely solid vehicle, but the price tag of nearly $57 k taxes in and the well documented poor fuel economy give me pause.

I took a new "leftover" 2017 F-150 (Crew Cab) for a test drive today. The dealer wanted about $47 k taxes in - less than the Tacoma. I know Toyotas have a sterling reputation, but the Tacoma left me a bit cold despite being the sort of truck (midsize, roof rack available, etc.) that I would ideally design.

Tough to know ...
    Buy EXTENDED warranty you will need it ! I sell Ford Parts every day I would not own one Myself ! jmo RJ

Thanks for the advice re sport vs. off-road. Looks like I'll have to take an off-road for a test-drive!

Buy the sport and put bilstein 5100 shocks in it if you want the dclb option. I did this and truck handles amazing offroad.

I drove them all again today. Tundra is the "best truck - for the most money", but the Tacoma checks more boxes for me I think (narrower, 6 foot box, factory roof rack rails, enough room for gear in the Double Cab). Zero deals on them and the financing rates are pretty high too - guess that is what demand does ...

Quote Originally Posted by glennw89 View Post
    I drove them all again today. Tundra is the "best truck - for the most money", but the Tacoma checks more boxes for me I think (narrower, 6 foot box, factory roof rack rails, enough room for gear in the Double Cab). Zero deals on them and the financing rates are pretty high too - guess that is what demand does ...
    SO i am NOT surprised - Have you test drove the GM and Rams too ? For getting the COST which truck would you rate #1 of all those you have test drivin ? RJ

I've got a 2015 access cab Tacoma with the four cylinder engine.

MY only complaint is the high geared reverse. I get a burnt clutch smell nearly every time I use it.

Toyota dealership and service centre claim they've never heard of such an issue, though it is mentioned on line on Tacoma World.

Quote Originally Posted by REMINGTON JIM View Post
    SO i am NOT surprised - Have you test drove the GM and Rams too ? For getting the COST which truck would you rate #1 of all those you have test drivin ? RJ
    I have not test drove the GM. Not interested in the Ram due to past experience experience with Chrysler/Jeep products.

Tundra hands down. Rock solid feel, strong engine, Double Cab is a good compromise between extended and crew cab. Only downside is no factory roof rack rail as the Tacoma does - roof rack is important for me as I do a lot of paddling (whitewater kayaking, etc.) Plus the fuel economy sucks compared to the other two.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruger.270 View Post
    Any insight into whether the sport model or the off-road model (Tacoma) is better on the newer years? I know the different features, wondering about real-world ride and functionality. Heard the sport suspension is too stiff for logging road travel.

Hoping to get into one of these in the relatively near future, but haven't taken any for a test drive yet.
    Off-road has a rear locker, and better skidplates. Sport is a cosmetic package.
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.