Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Toyota Tundra & Tacoma - real world feedback

Re: Toyota Tundra & Tacoma - real world feedback

spend it on gas or spend it on repairs...no free rides...heheh
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacktail1 View Post
    Had a 2018 tundra hated that god damn gas gushing pile of crap . Back to my good old gmc 3500 happy happy

I had an ‘89 4Runner that I bought for $2000 a couple of years ago. Sold it last month for $10,000, and had a line up of guys wanting it. I did put a couple of weekends worth of time and around $1000 into it, but $4k for a 300,000 km pickup is totally normal these days if it isn’t rusted to hell.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Redthies are you Serious ! $10,000.00 Surely you are kidding me ?
    Arctic Lake
    Quote Originally Posted by Redthies View Post
    I had an ‘89 4Runner that I bought for $2000 a couple of years ago. Sold it last month for $10,000, and had a line up of guys wanting it. I did put a couple of weekends worth of time and around $1000 into it, but $4k for a 300,000 km pickup is totally normal these days if it isn’t rusted to hell.
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Couple questions . Is there a place to order Toyota OEM parts online that is cheaper than going to the dealership ? Just a reminder my truck is 1990 model year 3
    Have you found a particular Toyota Dealership better for servicing your Toyota pickup than others ? I would think they are all Toyota trained so all the mechanics would be somewhat equal ? Yes I know there are different skill sets with all trades !

#2. I have a mechanic but I’m thinking I may want to try Toyota Dealership or other that specializes in Toyota trucks or Toyota vehicles ?

#3 Some repair shops put aftermarket parts in when repairs are done and then they markup said parts which I find blizzare as they just phone up Lordco and they get them delivered right ? What about buying OEM parts yourself and having them installed if you are not going to the dealer ?

Arctic Lake. Asker of questions !

I bought a 2015 Tacoma extra cab new and now 5 1/2 years later I've got 48,500 some-odd kms on it.

I special ordered it because it was impossible to find a used 4-cylinder manual transmission model.

The only issue I had with it when it was new is that the reverse gear is really high-geared and every time I used reverse, I could smell clutch burning. settled down after the first 10,000. I guess I burned enough clutch off to smooth it out.

LOL ! My 1990 has the 3VZE the 3 Litre 5 speed . Can’t make it through the shortest intersection without shifting gears .When using 4 wheel drive ,Bull low as all would know 1 st gear and 4 low in the transfer case and you can take your foot off the gas and it just crawls . Glad your issue resolved itself MichelID !
    I just love a standard tranny . Really my truck needs some work but not abused at all ,but it’s like I said getting tired . The thought of payments on a new vehicle is scary I would have to finance for a new one !
    Arctic Lake
    Quote Originally Posted by MichelD View Post
    I bought a 2015 Tacoma extra cab new and now 5 1/2 years later I've got 48,500 some-odd kms on it.

I special ordered it because it was impossible to find a used 4-cylinder manual transmission model.

The only issue I had with it when it was new is that the reverse gear is really high-geared and every time I used reverse, I could smell clutch burning. settled down after the first 10,000. I guess I burned enough clutch off to smooth it out.
    Last edited by Arctic Lake; 04-02-2021 at 11:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    Couple questions . Is there a place to order Toyota OEM parts online that is cheaper than going to the dealership ? Just a reminder my truck is 1990 model year 3
    Have you found a particular Toyota Dealership better for servicing your Toyota pickup than others ? I would think they are all Toyota trained so all the mechanics would be somewhat equal ? Yes I know there are different skill sets with all trades !

#2. I have a mechanic but I’m thinking I may want to try Toyota Dealership or other that specializes in Toyota trucks or Toyota vehicles ?

#3 Some repair shops put aftermarket parts in when repairs are done and then they markup said parts which I find blizzare as they just phone up Lordco and they get them delivered right ? What about buying OEM parts yourself and having them installed if you are not going to the dealer ?

Arctic Lake. Asker of questions !
    AL

I had a 1987 that I traded in on a new 1993. That truck was amazing; the only thing that I had to replace was the clutch, everything else was wear and tear. After talking with my local mechanic, he recommended that I go with a Toyota clutch as I had 250000 on the first one, with lots of towing and bush time. They might cost more, but I think they are worth it. I also had a private mechanic who did all my work. It's not like they are the space shuttle, those trucks were pretty easy to work on. I add headers, ignition system, K&N Air Filter and bumpers and nerf bars. Most parts came from Northwest Offroad Specialties in Bellingham. I found them the best place to buy parts. But that was 20 years ago! Sold the truck when I needed another truck to tow the boat. Miss that truck every hunting season!!

For everyone who had the 3.0L V6, have you had your head gasket replaced? Toyota replaced mine at 210000 N/C. If it is not done, should ask Toyota as it was under warranty.

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

Quote Originally Posted by Sitkaspruce View Post
    AL

I had a 1987 that I traded in on a new 1993. That truck was amazing; the only thing that I had to replace was the clutch, everything else was wear and tear. After talking with my local mechanic, he recommended that I go with a Toyota clutch as I had 250000 on the first one, with lots of towing and bush time. They might cost more, but I think they are worth it. I also had a private mechanic who did all my work. It's not like they are the space shuttle, those trucks were pretty easy to work on. I add headers, ignition system, K&N Air Filter and bumpers and nerf bars. Most parts came from Northwest Offroad Specialties in Bellingham. I found them the best place to buy parts. But that was 20 years ago! Sold the truck when I needed another truck to tow the boat. Miss that truck every hunting season!!

For everyone who had the 3.0L V6, have you had your head gasket replaced? Toyota replaced mine at 210000 N/C. If it is not done, should ask Toyota as it was under warranty.

Cheers

SS
    That's interesting, my truck has over 400K and other than leaking under the valve covers still seem to be running fine.
    WLM
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it. - Clint Eastwood
    "Lots of critters to still shoot. And there'll be no quitters until we bag some critters" - 180grainer
    "Politicians should wear sponsor jackets like Nascar drivers, then we know who owns them" - Robin Williams

Flush the Turd!

Located and residing on the unceded territory of European Settler's traditional land.
    Click here to learn more 🖕

Sitka . I contacted Toyota Canada last year about the head gasket issue which you find on every Toyota Forum out there . Toyota even went as far as to say that it’s not listed WHAT ? I said that I would like to speak to your supervisor , the guy said that won’t change anything . I was pissed ! It’s my fault for not tackling the problem many years ago as I bought the truck from a fella when it was 3 years old . So I never had the head gasket done .I may try again on the issue . The fella I did talk to though said all they had down for recall was steering control arm and day time running lights problem,which I’m not sure what that is about .

Arctic Lake

Cheers

SS[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by Arctic Lake; 04-02-2021 at 10:25 PM.

Wildcatter . It seems that some 3VZE engines never have the problem , well I won’t say never but they apparently can chalk up huge Kilometers before going like the 400,000 you have on yours . But many ,many 3ZVE went very prematurely . Some say it’s due to the heat from the crossover exhaust pipe at the rear of the engine . I’m going to look into it again
    Please keep any information concerning OEM parts and where you have your truck serviced . Dealer or Independent etc.
    Thank You !
    Arctic Lake
    Quote Originally Posted by wildcatter View Post
    That's interesting, my truck has over 400K and other than leaking under the valve covers still seem to be running fine.