Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Toyota Tundra & Tacoma - real world feedback

Toyota Tundra & Tacoma - real world feedback

My 2006 Nissan Xterra is nearing the end and either a Tundra Double Cab or Tacoma Double Cab will likely be replacing it.

What sort of "real world" fuel mileage are you seeing (assuming stock"ish" tires, etc.)?

Folks find the Tacoma Double Cab roomy enough for gear storage and occasional passengers?

Any other relevant info that might not be immediately obvious after a brief test drive would be appreciated.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Toyota Tundra & Tacoma - real world feedback

I have a 16 tacoma trd sport dclb with 265 70 17 tires and get 14L per 100kms average, thats highway, town and in the bush hunting. Lots of room in the back seat for gear and the odd passenger.

I'd recommend getting the long box in either - I do fine on all but the worst condition roads for entry/exit angles, and the extra length has come in handy. I sleep out in it often, with a topper in winter, and the cargo space has saved me a few times.

There's all sorts of buzz about a diesel Taco for North America in 2018, and if that's true I'll be lining up. Years ago I drove a diesel Hilux overseas and my wife still reminds me to stop whining about giving it up.

Does anyone have beta on that?

Mine is a 2012, so last generation. I can squeeze 11.9 L/100km on long haul highway trips. In the city it can be pretty bad, but not awful. Lots of short trips around the city, starting it cold and parking it after 15 minutes it drinks gas.

Mine is access cab. So the half size suicide doors. Kids and gear fit back there great.

The full 4 door long box is a land yacht. It's really long.

I have 09 double cab trd long box. I have taken it places I shouldn't it was a compromise truck. Most double cab Toyota anythings have crappy payload so look out for that. The mileage is about what others are saying. No issues except front brakes x5 and a wheel bearing at 186 000k. If I were to get an all around Rd trip hunting truck it would be an access cab with 6' box with a canopy.The double cab is as long as my 04 sb crew cab dodge 3500 without the payload or towing capacity. From what i have seen of the Tundras despite being a good truck I would not get one as there mileage is not good and they don't have the payload i desire in a platform that size.

fuzzy

The mudflaps on the tacomas are too long, they hang up on EVERY cross ditch. I gotta find replacements as I tore mine off last weekend. Other than that I enjoy the Taco. It gets better hunting mileage than my ranger did.

The Tundra mileage is not great. I think about the same as my 06 350 ford diesel except with way smaller tank and obviously less towing and payload. However compared to the 1 tons they are quite nimble and much better ride. Mine has better than 300k km on it and no major repairs needed. Doubtful that a Ford, Dodge or GM would be as reliable given some of the roads I drive for work.

I have 2013 Xterra Pro4 X, and they are all including Tacoma and Tundra Gas Guzzlers
    I am lining up for the new F150 Diesel even the new Colorado ZR2 Diesel i hear is great too
    Religion is for people who fear Hell, Spirituality is for people who have been there...

2015 Tundra TRD DC 6.5ft bed, 33.5" tires, 2.5"fr and 1.5" rear lift, heavy foot, short trips, 18.5l/100km.
    Hwy 15.5l/100 or better.
    Towing flat deck, 2 quads, and a bed full of gear and 2 moose 19.5L/100km average over 2200km.
    45,000km trouble free so far.
    Has tons of power.
    Covers FSRs like butter.
    I love this truck.

Wish it had the 2016 Larger gas tank for those long day trips.

One of the most dependable trucks on the road IMO

2007 longbox crew absolute make is 450 km per tank if kept at 90 km per hr.