Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Toyota Tundra & Tacoma - real world feedback

Re: Toyota Tundra & Tacoma - real world feedback

My Vote is Tundra over Tacoma. Bigger truck, more payload and towing capacity for similar mileage.
    It doesn't take much to over load a half ton ( tundra) depending on what your doing so for that reason I think the Taco is too small.

#49 - I agree: its crazy the fuel economy of some one tons especially under load compared to little trucks.
    Last edited by WWBC; 11-01-2017 at 06:37 PM.

1998 tacoma TRD off road. 3.4 v6. 460K and I get roughly 16 to 19L/100km depending on what I am doing (not stock tires, 10 x 31" so probably a little better than 16-19/100km). Had a 89 3.0 v6 before and by the end I was getting really poor mileage at 560K on the engine and some serious wear on the engine.
    Last edited by Kevin So; 11-09-2017 at 02:28 AM.
    Do Good ...and forget about it..

My Toyota 4x4 pickup is getting tired 1990 3VZ engine ,5 speed,Extra Cab 300,000 K on it . I need to put some money into it . Valve cover gaskets. Tune up . One small dent and one little bit of surface rust . Maybe a bit of paint. Couple of other things . So It needs a bit of work.
    I’m thinking maybe buy a newer used one , if you can find a good condition used one !
    I have been looking on You Tube at the 2021 man they are sweet , really like some of the colours,
    Army Green,Cement,Lunar Rock . So many models to choose from Kripes . I like manual tranny but you can only get that option in the short box . I like the 6 foot box, I can stretch out in that with a couple of inches to spare . The TRD Off Road seems like a good model then maybe do some mods after rather than going with the TRD Pro. I guess you can build one the way you like from the ground up. If I bought new it will last me until I’m done driving . Just letting some thoughts go ....
    Thanks
    Arctic Lake
    Last edited by Arctic Lake; 03-31-2021 at 06:42 PM.
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

I'm quite excited about the rumored 2022 Tundra re-design. If you're considering a new truck and not in a big rush I would wait for the details this summer/fall. I'm in the market to replace a 2003 Mazda truck but in no rush and suspect the tundra may be out next truck.

tried to get a trd offroad in mid 2020 but none available...ordered and waited for a 2021 TRD off road in army green- I hate the fake air scoop so no sport for me...suspension is soft...softer and more bouncy than my 05 4runner LTD but the 4 runner had the Yamaha x-rias suspension and rode like a dream.

only frustration is with the tranny shifting too soon but in ECT ( towing and extra power) mode it seems fine. i will upgrade tires eventually ...still cant decide on a canopy or not..tonneau and/or rack system...

Gas milage varies hugely depending on how much lead is in your boot....

surprised how few bells and whistles the taco has compared to the old 05 4runner (but the 4runner was an LTD). Things in the 05 4runner that are not in the 2021 taco TRD offroad are: 17 inch wheels( they come on the sport though), a 2nd sun visor, laser pointer on the speedo needle, super smooth shifting auto tranny, 110v plug in in the center consul, passenger side power seats, hidden second compartment in the glove box, spare change holder, solid built door assembly, running boards, beefy skid plates..... basic is good in my books though

....some things on the new taco TRD off road not on the 05 4runner ltd include: crawl control, telephone/infotainment system, satellite radio, remote start, 110v plug in in the box, plastic pick-up box (floor and walls) 2 different trailer plug ins, manual style mode for shifting gears on the auto tranny....i was pleasantly surprised to see how far behind the taco was at adding some of the extra stuff my 05 4runner had..

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    My Toyota 4x4 pickup is getting tired 1990 3VZ engine ,5 speed,Extra Cab 300,000 K on it . I need to put some money into it . Valve cover gaskets. Tune up . One small dent and one little bit of surface rust . Maybe a bit of paint. Couple of other things . So It needs a bit of work.
    I’m thinking maybe buy a newer used one , if you can find a good condition used one !
    I have been looking on You Tube at the 2021 man they are sweet , really like some of the colours, Army Green,Cement,
    Lunar Rock . So many models to choose from Kripes . I like manual tranny but you can only get that option in the short box . I like the 6 foot box, I can stretch out in that with a couple of inches to spare . The TRD Off Road seems like a good model then maybe do some mods after rather than going with the TRD Pro. I guess you can build one the way you like from the ground up. If I bought new it will last me until I’m done driving . Just letting some thoughts go ....
    Thanks
    Arctic Lake
    Haha you think your pickup getting tired?
    I got a 92 Toyota pickup with the V6 engine 5 speed tranny and it's over 400K now.
    But it still runs good, the valve covers leak some oil, but no big deal just keep topping up.
    The frame is still not rusted out and I will drive this till it falls apart
    WLM
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it. - Clint Eastwood
    "Lots of critters to still shoot. And there'll be no quitters until we bag some critters" - 180grainer
    "Politicians should wear sponsor jackets like Nascar drivers, then we know who owns them" - Robin Williams

Flush the Turd!

Located and residing on the unceded territory of European Settler's traditional land.
    Click here to learn more 🖕

I have owned a half dozen toyota pickups and 4runners. A few of them were built and some stock. They can take a ton of abuse. Currently in an 07' Tundra 240,xxx and running strong. Have had a few upwards of 400,xxx with regular maintenance. They are great vehicles.

As for Tundra vs Taco. I went with the Tundra for interior space and I needed a long box. Its pretty big when off road but it gets me enough places. My old mini trucks would go wherever you would take an atv with some body abuse haha.
    WSSBC
    CCFR

Great information posted above ! I have not even considered a Tundra don’t know much about them except they are larger.
    Maybe it’s just the Tundra’s that I have seen on the road but they look like they are low to the ground ,don’t have that 4x4 look to them , not that I’m wanting that Roller Skate Monster Truck that the young crowd like . Maybe it’s just the models I have seen . Someone could probably enlighten me !
    I will need to do some research into the rumours for what is coming in the 2022 model year .
    Arctic Lake

Wildcatter . Have you had any Recall work or Service Bulletin work done on you 1992 ?
    I had an email from Toyota Canada about a recall on my 1990 for steering components they said contact the dealership I emailed WestCoast Toyota and they said they don’t have the tools to do the work . What the heck does that mean ? Would they not have the tools to do it ?
    Arctic Lake
    Quote Originally Posted by wildcatter View Post
    Haha you think your pickup getting tired?
    I got a 92 Toyota pickup with the V6 engine 5 speed tranny and it's over 400K now.
    But it still runs good, the valve covers leak some oil, but no big deal just keep topping up.
    The frame is still not rusted out and I will drive this till it falls apart

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    Wildcatter . Have you had any Recall work or Service Bulletin work done on you 1992 ?
    I had an email from Toyota Canada about a recall on my 1990 for steering components they said contact the dealership I emailed WestCoast Toyota and they said they don’t have the tools to do the work . What the heck does that mean ? Would they not have the tools to do it ?
    Arctic Lake
    They probably don't have an alignment rack depending on what steering components need to be replaced. Maybe?
    WSSBC
    CCFR