Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Toyota Tundra & Tacoma - real world feedback

Re: Toyota Tundra & Tacoma - real world feedback

I own an '08 tundra with the double cab. I avg 17l/100km since I've owned it- that's mainly town, bush and towing my boat. Don't do a lot of highway driving. I too debated with the Tacoma vs tundra- I am very glad I went with the tundra. Tacomas are too small for me inside, the narrow advantage of the Tacoma is a moot point for me, Unless I lived in Vancouver. I can get my Tundra every where I ever need to in the bush, maybe once in a blue moon would I wish my truck was narrower. The minimal width difference is not a selling point for me. Use full size pickups in the bush for work and they go everywhere we need. I have taken 5 full size guys on a 5 hr road trip with no issue, I couldn't do that in the Tacoma. As far as fuel economy goes, how many km do you actually drive in a year? Avg person does 20,000. Some of my friends with F150s avg 14l/100km under similar driving as me. So 20,000/100 X 3 extra litres/km = me using an extra 600l of fuel per year than if I had an F150. X $1.20/l =$720 extra in fuel per year. $720 a year is easily burned up in the extra mechanical repairs they have had over the years. I have done only maintenance. Unless you are driving 50-100k/yr I feel like the extra gas is more than saved in repairs and in future re-sale. Tacoma would be the same as tundra for resale but the comfort of the larger cab outweighs the fuel savings in my mind. I could still get over $20k for my truck if I sold it today, can't say the same for a domestic in the same condition.

Not to be an a-hole but my old cummins is into the 11s litre, the Taco is the size of my box what gives.Not saying there bad trucks but for what you pay

Quote Originally Posted by #49 View Post
    Not to be an a-hole but my old cummins is into the 11s litre, the Taco is the size of my box what gives.Not saying there bad trucks but for what you pay
    Not to be an a hole, but it's a dodge not a cummins. The Cummins is just a motor. Not to be an a hole, but "into the 11s litre" makes no sense at all. Not to be an a hole, but the taco is significantly bigger than the box on a dodge.
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

Yah samsquach I know what kind of truck it is, I have been driving it for over half a million kms.Into the 11s means avg somewhere in the 11/100km range. I guess you dont know how to take something with a grain of salt about the Tacos size.There hope you can now sleep at night

I sleep great. And I know how to take things with a grain of salt, like a dodge driver talking about mileage
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

If your calling me a liar then I guess your the a-hole.Done with you

Comparing a toyota Tacoma to a dodge one tone pickup is like saying my 223 is better than my 338win mag.... two very different applications and uses...

I'm a ford suprrduty guy most of my life but the Toyota's are a life time owner truck and excellent off road. I don't think anyone in a toyota brags about fuel mileage, unless it's a prius

Quote Originally Posted by glennw89 View Post
    I have not test drove the GM. Not interested in the Ram due to past experience experience with Chrysler/Jeep products.

Tundra hands down. Rock solid feel, strong engine, Double Cab is a good compromise between extended and crew cab. Only downside is no factory roof rack rail as the Tacoma does - roof rack is important for me as I do a lot of paddling (whitewater kayaking, etc.) Plus the fuel economy sucks compared to the other two.
    My Dads 2017 tundra crewmax gets 13L/100km I wouldn't consider that bad at all.

Wifes 2014 1794 gets 15L/100km with Duratracs. And my 2011 platinum get 17.5-18L/100km lifted and 35s.

not sure about the Fords but a friend has a new GM 1500 and its gets 13L/100km aswell

Quote Originally Posted by thick View Post
    I own an '08 tundra with the double cab. I avg 17l/100km since I've owned it- that's mainly town, bush and towing my boat. Don't do a lot of highway driving. I too debated with the Tacoma vs tundra- I am very glad I went with the tundra. Tacomas are too small for me inside, the narrow advantage of the Tacoma is a moot point for me, Unless I lived in Vancouver. I can get my Tundra every where I ever need to in the bush, maybe once in a blue moon would I wish my truck was narrower. The minimal width difference is not a selling point for me. Use full size pickups in the bush for work and they go everywhere we need. I have taken 5 full size guys on a 5 hr road trip with no issue, I couldn't do that in the Tacoma. As far as fuel economy goes, how many km do you actually drive in a year? Avg person does 20,000. Some of my friends with F150s avg 14l/100km under similar driving as me. So 20,000/100 X 3 extra litres/km = me using an extra 600l of fuel per year than if I had an F150. X $1.20/l =$720 extra in fuel per year. $720 a year is easily burned up in the extra mechanical repairs they have had over the years. I have done only maintenance. Unless you are driving 50-100k/yr I feel like the extra gas is more than saved in repairs and in future re-sale. Tacoma would be the same as tundra for resale but the comfort of the larger cab outweighs the fuel savings in my mind. I could still get over $20k for my truck if I sold it today, can't say the same for a domestic in the same condition.
    Good way to weigh in on fuel mileage vs repairs!

The pouint I was trying to make is,yes the are good rigs,but for the size of a Taco the fuel mileage is dissappointing and the prices on them are more than I personally think there worth