Quote Originally Posted by firebird View Post
Yep! My wife's got a 1794 model. I guess the Toyota plant is on one of the first ranches established in 1794.
You got it right. Brief history below. My 2016 Tacoma was built there as well.

The Best Texas Has to Offer

Cutting edge technology, hard work and, determination combine to make an award-winning vehicle unlike any other.
Toyota Motor Manufacturing, Texas, Inc. (TMMTX) is the home of the Toyota Tundra and Tacoma pickup trucks - built in the Southside of San Antonio!
Our plant received the 2008 J.D. Power and Associates Silver award for Assembly Plant Quality in North and South America. This is a first-of-its-kind honor for a Toyota plant in its first year of production operation.
Founded on Texas Tradition

From horses and cattle to horsepower and trucks, the oldest working ranch in Texas becomes the first Texas pickup truck automotive plant.
Few places are as linked to the history of San Antonio and early Texas as the JLC Ranch.
In 1794, a young colonist from the Canary Islands, Juan Ignacio de Casanova, received a royal grant for a league of rolling pastureland between Leon Creek and the Medina River. On this fertile land, he established El Rancho de la Purisima Concepcion, and later expanded his holdings to more than 24,000 acres.
Ignacio later defended San Antonio from Mexican revolutionary forces attempting to break away from Spain. He served briefly as the Spanish Provincial Governor of Texas before his death in October 1823. His son, Jose Ignacio Perez continued to ranch the land.
During the Texas Revolution, Perez remained loyal to the Mexican Government, moving his family to property along the Rio Grande. He continued to pay taxes on the ranch, which helped him reclaim the land when he returned in 1846.
The Texas Republic recognized only the original land grant of 4,000 acres. This was passed on to Perez's descendants as the JLC Ranch until it was acquired by Toyota in 2003.
Toyota Motor Manufacturing, Texas, Inc. purchased 2,600 acres of this ranchland south of downtown San Antonio. After donating 600 acres to the City of San Antonio to create greenspace along Leon Creek and the Medina River, Toyota broke ground in 2003 and began operations in 2006, forever linking the ancient family histories of Juan Ignacio de Casanova and Sakichi Toyod