Thread: Is there a good spot to take 6 year old first timer near Mission for grouse/hares?

Is there a good spot to take 6 year old first timer near Mission for grouse/hares?

My son really wants to go hunting this year so I told him I would take him grouse and rabbit hunting. I'm guessing we will end up around Harrison but are there any other good spots? Is one side of the lake better than the other? I haven't really hunted around Harrison much and since it will just be a day trip, a 5 hour drive to the family cabin where I've usually hunted small game isn't going to happen.
    Thanks!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Is there a good spot to take 6 year old first timer near Mission for grouse/hares

Harrison is pretty busy, Ive only seen 2 grouse up Harrison west in the few times Ive poked around out there and they weee way off a main road, I always see rabbits along the dykes on the river it'd depend where you're aloud to hunt though.

Re: Is there a good spot to take 6 year old first timer near Mission for grouse/hares

I used to take my son up either side of Stave lake for the short trips. It's been some time and I know the lower areas can be a gong show but if you get back far enough you should be ok. Took him for grouse when he was 8, came home with a blacktail!!
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

It's worth the extra driving time to go up the Fraser canyon. Most of the fsr's up that way are gonna hold more birds and less people.
    But then what do I know? I'm just a lowly woodcutter.

Cool thanks for the advice guys.
    Cheers!

Waterfowl would be the best small game with action to introduce a kid to hunting in the lower mainland

I would love to but I've never done it myself. I wouldn't know where to start.

When heading up in Mission, remember there are a lot of recent shooting restrictions put in place (map) seems Harrison East would be better than Harrison West