Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Broadheads for Hunting

Bow Walker Guest

Broadheads for Hunting

I just read an article in a magazine called "Sportsman's Bowhunting Annual" put out by the Harris Outdoor Group.

The article is titled "Heads of the pack" by Jeff Murray, a contributing archery writer. I'm not going to re-write the whole article here, but a lot of what he says makes sense.

He writes that....."there are three main categories of broadheads....1. Fixed blade broadheads....2. Expanding or Mechanical broadheads......3. Replaceable Blade broadheads....and a 4th emerging group - Hybrid broadheads, a combination of mechanical and cut-on-contact heads."

Examples of each category are, 1. G5's Montec and the Snuffer from Magnus. 2. N.A.P.'s Spitfire and the Steelhead from Rocket. 3. Slick Tricks and the Striker from G5. 4. Gladiator from gold Tip and the Raptor from 2XJ Enterprises. These are just two examples from each category.

The groups of archers/hunters getting the benefits from each category? This is where it gets interesting as what Jeff Murray states makes a lot of sense.

Category 1. - There are two groups of archers who benefit from the Fixed Blade head, first are the "bow-poundage challenged archers (the young, the elderly, and most women) because this group needs to optimize penetration with relatively low poundage setups. Second are the archers with Kinetic Energy to spare - longer draw length and higher poundage shooters. These archers benefit from the cut-on-contact heads and the fact that they are tough heads that can be resharpened easily.

Category 2. - Mechanical or Expanding heads benefit those archers who are in the beginning stages of learning but who have the ability to pull higher poundage or have draw lengths of 28" and up. Also the archer who is after smaller game animals such as turkeys, upland game birds, and smaller-bodied deer. These animals don't require the pass-thru punch of fixed blades. This type of head also flies closest to the flight of field points without a lot of tuning involved. Hence the obvious benefit to the inexperienced.

Category 3. - Replaceable blade broadheads, have obvious benefits to archers who want a razor sharp head that is easily tuned to their setup. American Broadhead's Sonic 100 is a prime example. These smaller profile heads are great for experienced shooters after larger game animals such as Elk, Mule deer, Bears, and Moose. Shot placement is key here (as with all archery hunting). The smaller profile of the Replaceable Blade head does not wind plane on longer yardage shots or in open breezier terrain, yet they deliver a devastating wound channel with lots of blood for easy tracking

So. Which category do you fit into? Or are you like me and can benefit from more than one category suggestion? I hope that any who have a chance to read the whole article - do so. It has a lot of good advice.

Whatever our goal as bowhunters is we need to remember that we owe it to our quarry to kill quickly and efficiently. Toward this end, I would add my .02 cents worth in the I believe that we should strive for the best from our setups, whether we tune them or a pro shop tunes them.

If you build your own arrows I can think of no better money spent than that spent on an ASD (Arrow Squaring Device) from G5 Outdoors. Squaring the end of cut shafts so that the insert sits flush - plus - squaring the insert itself so that the broadhead sits square will only benefit the flight of the arrow.

The ASD assures a square broadhead-to-insert-to arrow shaft connection. This goes a long way in helping with true broadhead flight, and a humane kill.

As always - just one man's opinion.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Broadheads for Hunting

I think the group that benefits from mech heads are those who lack the ability to tune exposed blade heads to shoot right, or those who are happy to shoot field points a couple of times then switch heads and go hunting.

I have plenty of KE to spare, I'm shooting around 74. Thats more than enough to kill anything I'll ever hunt and yet it wasn't enough to keep a mech from turning almost 90 degrees on a shot 2 years ago.

Kirby
    Huuked on foniks wurked fur me

Quote Originally Posted by StoneChaser
    Biggest problem with a debate on ethics is the simple fact that ethics are like underwear...everybody has 'em, but some are a little shittier than others

i love my g5 montecs.they did fail me this spring however.i made what i beleive was a perfect shot on a huge tom at 30 yards.my arrow passed through and was covered in blood.my hunting partner,my dog and myself searched 4 hours that day and i returned the next day and searched somemore.never recovered that bird.so next spring for turkey i'll be shooting the biggest freaking machanicals i can find.

Any outdoor writer who recomends mech heads for big game especially to a newb hunter, should have one shoved up his arse.
    I'm going to the dogs.
    Airy Mtn. Airedales

Bow Walker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Clint_S View Post
    Any outdoor writer who recommends mech heads for big game especially to a newb hunter, should have one shoved up his arse.
    Check a little closer Clint.....it doesn't recommend mechs for big game.

Liking these Rocky Mountain Titaniums I picked up this year...
    Will have a good report after blacktail and elk hunting this year
    Originally Posted by averagejoe
    thats pretty cool. i bet you get close to those cats some time when there low in the tree hey. when do they have kittens?? do you ever see baby cougars in the tree or do they hide in her pouch?

Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle
    ....I guess some peeps think a mother griz is like a crack whore ready to drop her baby at the first church door she sees...funny

I am still a die hard Muzzy fan. Bone crunching pass through performance every time.
    Steve.
    It's better to pass on a shot that you wish later you took, then to take a shot and wish later you didn't.

G'day Lads,

I have always shot fixed two bladers, I have been using Outback Supremes (130grains) for the last few years and they are devastating on any and all game that I have used them on from big mud encrusted boars, mean scrub cattle and tuff old bull buffalos. As with any broad head if it ain't shaving sharp then it has no place in a hunting quiver.

To each their own but I enjoy the fail safe reliability of the fixed blades and they fly superbly out of my rig, I can't ask for more than that.

Cheers Noel

well kirby,

i hunt with mechanicals alot of the time, probably 65% of the time. i also know that i have more than enough ability to tune my bow and broad heads. i also am not one to shoot a "few" field points on and then go hunting right away.. i practice all year long.

ive shot LOTS of game with mechanicals on all sorts of different angles and have NEVER had a problem(knock on wood).

one can have a crappy deflection with a fixed OR mechanical broadhead. kinda like bullets i guess. a new bullet comes out and its the cats a$$, performs well on anything, just an amazing bullet. then you try the bullets and shoot an animal and have one bullet perform sub par and all of the sudden they are $h!t!!! and i know this has happened to most.

just my opinion though. people have their theories and opinions and i can respect that. my biggest theory is shoot what your comfortable and confident in.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by huntwriter It seems the "BS" worked just fine for me. But it's no problem you do what works for you I do what works for me

hunting, fishing, wheeling, arrow flinging, gun shooting, loving it all
    proud supporter of the browning and A.P.A. killing club

Quote Originally Posted by brad ferris View Post
    i love my g5 montecs.they did fail me this spring however.i made what i beleive was a perfect shot on a huge tom at 30 yards.my arrow passed through and was covered in blood.my hunting partner,my dog and myself searched 4 hours that day and i returned the next day and searched somemore.never recovered that bird.so next spring for turkey i'll be shooting the biggest freaking machanicals i can find.

shoot em in the head with a gobbler guillotine
    Last edited by willhunt; 08-12-2007 at 11:02 PM. Reason: spelling