Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upland in West Kootaneys

Upland in West Kootaneys

Just moved to the West Kootaneys from New Brunswick, Trail/Rossland area specifically.

Been hunting a lot and having fun. Grouse numbers, from what I've heard and experienced are very good this year.

I have a 2 year old Brittany. Still a work in progress, but finds and points more birds than I would ever.

If anyone is in the area and interested in hunting upland/pointing dog training, even someone interested in learning, feel free to message me.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Upland in West Kootaneys

You'll have a blast bird hunting with a dog in this province. Certainly in the minority, but with generally light hunting pressure on birds, they tend to hold well for dogs. And lots of variety... spruce & ruffed like back east, but also blues, ptarmigan up high, chukars in the dry interior and California quail and pheasants if you can find a place to shoot in the OK valley.

No wild bobwhites here or back in NB... presumably that's a pen-raised bird?

Yeah, that was a pen raised bird. I worked with a local trainer and NAVHDA group during his first year and had bought some quail and chukar for training. Just wanted to throw a picture in of my dog since he's the star of the show.

We've had fun with ruffed and blues so far. Rudy is getting lots of contacts, which is great. Last year was tough in NB for grouse, so he got fewer contacts than I wanted in his first season. I shot a fair number of woodcock over him though and even managed to get hired to guide pheasants for a day.

Rudy had fun when we were in the Okanogan, the quail were everywhere, in the campsite, on the roads, drove him nuts. This year I'm going to continue to discover local covers. Hoping next year to expand east and west of here into the Okanogan and Creston valley to try for quail, pheasant and chukar, after I get more information in general.

Here's Rudy with our first hunt in the area. Managed a couple blues.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screen Shot 2017-10-21 at 7.33.44 AM.jpg  

If your interested the fall of 2018, I know a good ptarmagin area, I have a lab that is a work in progress.

Definitely touch base as the season approaches. I'd certainly be interested in discussing this more.

Welcome I live and hunt just a little west of you.
    I run a gang of GSPs and GWPs and love shooting over them. hit me up in Aug and I'll let you know how upland is looking this way...was great last year
    Cheers
    Palmer

I'm from the east Kootenays but would love to run my Pudelpointer with some other dogs. Needs work on backing.

Quote Originally Posted by palmer View Post
    Welcome I live and hunt just a little west of you.
    I run a gang of GSPs and GWPs and love shooting over them. hit me up in Aug and I'll let you know how upland is looking this way...was great last year
    Cheers
    Palmer
    Definitely will.

There was a chuckur thread on here if you do a search.....best luck for those little devil's are around savanna, both sides of the highway on the steep dry hills.

Hey I live in Fruitvale and have a Springer that will be about 15 months old come the fall. He's done well on grouse so far but would love to get after some ptarmigan with him if you feel like teaming up for a hunt.
    ~ If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting. ~ Aristotle