Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Using E-bikes to hunt sheep

Re: Using E-bikes to hunt sheep

They're definitely a legal grey area. And a moral grey area for some. But it was interesting using one. It sure wasn't as easy as I thought it would be tho.

Cheers.
    John
    highlanderhunting.podbean.com

The pedal assist are not considered a MV bob as you still need to pedal the bike this has been beat up on here and other sites before. I believe Ourea has knowledge on this topic
    bugle em up! knock em down

"E-bikes are not specifically referenced in this definition, and to my knowledge there has been no precedence set through the courts on the subject..."

Who wants to be the first to challenge it??
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main

Quote Originally Posted by rocksteady View Post
    "E-bikes are not specifically referenced in this definition, and to my knowledge there has been no precedence set through the courts on the subject..."

sure as s*** ain't going to be me!!!!
    And, if I could afford that bike (at least the "Specialized" brand models), I would buy a ATV first.
    There F'n expensive, Dunbar Cycles, full suspension models run 6500.00 to 8000.00
    I think I will stick to the bike I have for now.....
    that's a rich mans toy!

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    sure as s*** ain't going to be me!!!!
    And, if I could afford that bike (at least the "Specialized" brand models), I would buy a ATV first.
    There F'n expensive, Dunbar Cycles, full suspension models run 6500.00 to 8000.00
    I think I will stick to the bike I have for now.....
    that's a rich mans toy!

And common sense prevails...

Quote Originally Posted by rocksteady View Post

I seriously doubt that there would be any charges for using an e assist bike .... it almost makes me want to get one �� .
    If you read the response that Ron got it very clearly states that it is not included if powered by human , animal or wind .
    So rock ... common sense has once again been ignored .... and a simple situation made to sound complicated .

I surprised that the answer from the COS was not overly clear and concise
    Proud Member of Team Gold Bond

Originally Posted by F***** D***
    some "people" tend to use the paneling in the living room to fuel their fires.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    I think I do perrty good for only having grad 7 education

Quote Originally Posted by Dannybuoy View Post
    I seriously doubt that there would be any charges for using an e assist bike .... it almost makes me want to get one �� .
    If you read the response that Ron got it very clearly states that it is not included if powered by human , animal or wind .
    So rock ... common sense has once again been ignored .... and a simple situation made to sound complicated .
    So the advice from the CO Service said its grey.... They said it has not been challenged in court... Lets say you buy one and try it.. You get caught by CO who sees it more black and white.. Then you get charges, probably the bike seized, then a long drawn out court process, you will probably have to hire a lawyer.... and in the end its up to the judge to decide IF its black or white? You may lose, you may have the bike forfeited...

That does not seem like common sense being ignored....

What I am saying is you state " I seriously doubt that there would be any charge..." Why take the risk, sit back long enough and some FOOL will try it and then see how the courts play it out before you go down that road (figuratively and physically)...

Nothing wrong with being a pioneer or a trend setter, but maybe not on this one..

It is my recommendation that an E-bike not be used in areas where motor vehicles are prohibited or restricted, however I am unable to state whether they re prohibited by law.

Regulations and Policy Analyst|Fish & Wildlife Branch|Ministry of Forests, Lands, and Natural Resource Operations|[/QUOTE]
    To my way of thinking he answers the question, albeit in a round about way, relatively clearly. It looks to me like this is already being discussed. Then again maybe it's just his interpretation. I'll stick to backpacking though and save my pennies for a fly-in Stone's Sheep/Caribou hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post
    This subject was just beat to death in another thread. But as per most other topics, people have varying opinions and lots of "this person told me", and I heard from a CO that.." type of answers.

I sent my original email to the Conservation Officer Service and guess what, they forwarded my question to a Policy Analyst that is employed by the Ministry of Forests, Lands, and Natural Resource Operations.

Read the response below and it is clear that this is a legal grey area. That said, take note of the analysts interpretation. You may very well use your ebike and get away with it in a VCA, but you may also find yourself standing in-front of a judge being the first one charged.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________
    Sent: Friday, August 4, 2017 6:38 AM
    To: Conservation Officer Service ENV:EX
    Subject: Definition of a Motor Vehicle (E-Bikes in Vehicle Closure Areas)

Good Morning,

Could you please provide me with some clarification on the definition of Motor Vehicle in the BC Hunting and Trapping Synopsis. More specifically, how battery powered E-bikes/scooter are interpreted under this definition.

Is a mountain bike that has a battery pack/electric motor or "e-bike" fall under the definition of a motor vehicle? And can they be used inside Vehicle closed areas? These bikes can be propelled by human pedal power or propelled solely by an electric motor. The same question for battery powered scooters that can be propelled by pedals?

I frequently backpack or mountain bike into vehicle closure areas to access backcountry hunting and I'd like to find out the correct interpretation and not speculate.

Very much appreciated

Ron CrXXX

Hello Ron,

Thank you for your email dated August 4, 2017, regarding the use of E-bikes within areas where the operation of motor vehicles are restricted. Your enquiry has been forwarded to me for response.

In the provincial Wildlife Act a Motor Vehicle is defined as:

"motor vehicle" means a device in, on or by which a person or thing is being or may be transported or drawn, and which is designed to be self propelled, and includes an atv or snowmobile, but does not include
    (a) a device designed to be moved by human, animal or wind power,
    (b) a device designed to be used exclusively on stationary rails or stationary tracks, or
    (c) a boat propelled by motorized power;

E-bikes are not specifically referenced in this definition, and to my knowledge there has been no precedence set through the courts on the subject, as such it is difficult to provide a clear answer to your question. This response is solely based on my interpretation of the regulation as it is currently written.

E-bikes are designed to be both self propelled and moved by human power; they meet the definition of a motor vehicle (designed to be self propelled), and are not included in the definition of motor vehicle (a device designed to be moved by human power). I don’t think the law makers of the day considered that devices would be designed in the future that both meet and are excluded from the definition. Further complicating the matter are the various designs of E-bikes/scooters and their relative reliance on either battery or human power.

There are variables that could be factors in determining whether these types of vehicles could be used within an area subject to motor vehicle restrictions/prohibitions. For example, if a bike is not capable of propelling itself without the use of human power (i.e. the battery is charged by the rotation of the pedals) it may not be considered “self propelled” and may not meet the definition of a motor vehicle. However, if a bike does not require human assistance to move it (i.e. the battery is charged at home and the pedals simply augment the movement of the bike) it could be considered “self propelled” and meet the definition of a motor vehicle.

I’ve used terms like “may” and “could” liberally, as described above there is no clear reference to these types of devices in the Wildlife Act. However, I’ll take the liberty of more certainty when speaking to the objectives of these motor vehicle regulations. There are numerous types of motor vehicle restrictions/prohibitions in the province, but they can be put into two categories: year round/seasonal motor vehicle prohibitions and motor vehicle prohibitions for the purpose of hunting.

Generally (if not always) a full prohibition on the use of motor vehicles, either seasonally or year round, is in place to protect habitat. These can apply to specific lines (i.e. roads, trails) or polygons (i.e. watersheds, alpine areas). Whenever operating a vehicle/device in the province the operator should be These hybrid vehicles probably don’t compromise the objective of these regulations to any great extent, provided the device is operated in a manner that takes habitat values (soils, vegetation, etc.) into consideration.

The rational for Motor Vehicle for Hunting Closed Areas is generally social or to reduce harvest pressure in a specific area. In some areas access has increased in recent years which makes wildlife more vulnerable, motor vehicle for hunting closures are a tool in these situations to reduce hunter access into these areas that were previously inaccessible by a motor vehicle. They are also in place to provide a diversity of hunting experiences (i.e. a road where they can walk, bike, or horseback into without seeing a quad every couple of kms). These E-bikes may compromise the objective of these regulations.

It is my recommendation that an E-bike not be used in areas where motor vehicles are prohibited or restricted, however I am unable to state whether they are prohibited by law.

Regards,

Regulations and Policy Analyst|Fish & Wildlife Branch|Ministry of Forests, Lands, and Natural Resource Operations|
    Guess WHAT no JUDGE is going to Convict you with that answer from a BC Gov Office THEY don't even know themselves WTF is the REAL answer! Take your chances with the Judge He will be your Friend ! More Proof our CO dept is RUN poorly and this is BIT of a JOKE ! jmo RJ