Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Another

Re: Another

Quote Originally Posted by TexasWalker View Post
    Typical rancher, always with the hand out.
    That hand is usually holding up a dead wolf ...

Quote Originally Posted by TexasWalker View Post
    Typical rancher, always with the hand out.
    Speaking as a retired rancher, I'm not even gonna comment on this garbage post or I'll get banned for sure..
    Lord, Please help me to become half the man my Dog thinks I am..

Quote Originally Posted by gcreek View Post
    348 head have not come home since 2003. Some have died of other causes for sure. 2007 saw them all come home. Last year was 25 calves and 8 cows, this year we are nearly in and short 16 calves and 5 cows so far. 10 pairs and 10 bulls still out. Most of our neighbors have the same kind of loss percentages. It will total in the neighborhood of 100 head in the Anahim Lake area this year. Cows come home and most of the wolves either die or go to live off moose and caribou til next year's buffet is set. Thinking they will be more of a winter problem over the next years as wildlife supplies dwindle.

These are big numbers.... this kind of loss is happening all over the province you think?
    We are wondering why we having a low game/high predator problem in the province, perhaps yearly supplies of fat dumb easy prey being sent out for buffet isn't helping. Must give the predators a good strong head start with strong well fed litters.

I would love to be able to do my share to help a farmer

Wonder how many go by way of the two legged variety that are indigenous to the region?
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

Traps work better in the right hands.
    Good post quit true

Quote Originally Posted by rocksteady View Post
    Pick your poison.. do what you gotta do.. I will turn a blind eye..
    Interesting posts by a couple guys suggesting something illegal and there ok with it.

348 head have not come home since 2003. Some have died of other causes for sure. 2007 saw them all come home. Last year was 25 calves and 8 cows, this year we are nearly in and short 16 calves and 5 cows so far. 10 pairs and 10 bulls still out. Most of our neighbors have the same kind of loss percentages. It will total in the neighborhood of 100 head in the Anahim Lake area this year. Cows come home and most of the wolves either die or go to live off moose and caribou til next year's buffet is set. Thinking they will be more of a winter problem over the next years as wildlife supplies dwindle.
    So what do you think was different in 2007.
    You have mentioned before that your trapper gets the whole pack but you continue to have problems. So is it more just like one large mass of wolves in your area and just like sub packs or small groups that break off that are caught. How far are these new packs coming from that come into your area. Does any one else do any thing in surrounding areas.

348 cows/calves is a big pile of money lost, how big is your herd? Any estimate on what would be an average loss, taking predation out of the picture? Is there compensation available and how does that work in terms of evidence and % of market value that you can get back? Just curious myself, I know virtually nothing about the business but guess that loss is probably north of half a million dollars and not many businesses can sustain that kind of loss for long.

Quote Originally Posted by LBM View Post
    Interesting posts by a couple guys suggesting something illegal and there ok with it.

I was not suggesting it's illegal. I was saying I have no issues with wolves being killed...
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main