Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Another

Re: Another

Dead moose walking......fresh moose track in the snow once cut by pack of wolves. Moose, deer, caribou, elk no matter.
    …..better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

[QUOTE=j270wsm;1946930]
    Quote Originally Posted by REMINGTON JIM View Post

i used to hunt black bears every spring. Over the last 10yrs as I was noticing more Grizzlies I was noticing less and less black bears. Granted I haven't actually hunted black bears in 2-3yrs, I haven't been seeing any while out getting fire wood or going for drives to look for bears. Next spring I guarantee that I will kill at least one bear.
    Grizz like fat black bear as much as fat folks like Timbits.

That was my exact point when I said, due to the rise in grizz population, the black bear population is down in the upper elk valley.

Black bears are dwindling here in Tatlayoko Lake as well. 17 grizzly cubs I saw this year while only seeing 3 black bear cubs
    . I have traps out for two different ranchers right now as well, a lot of missing cattle east of you gcreek, but I am sure you already know that. Good luck on catching the pack.

When it comes to wolves, smoke a pack a day....

My friend told me that last week and I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by gcreek View Post
    Other than the LML,where aren't they an issue or an increasing issue? Ten years ago I was told on here that they weren't a problem in the Okanagan or the Kootenays. That has changed drastically from what I read here now. Most coming from Cariboo and Chilcotin and north are saying no game where there were lots a few short years ago. All they see are wolf tracks.

You say they aren't an issue in the province. I say open your eyes and look around.

Maybe some have different views because that is where the money is............
    Ungulate numbers have been decreasing in parts of the EK for 30 plus years, and as you say here it wasn't a wolf problem.
    The decreasing numbers have even been brought up on here but some of the bigger BCWF supporters on here said there was no problems
    in the EK it was just the people didn't no how to hunt. Its funny how one of the main guys saying this is now paid by the BCWF and is
    there spokes person holding meetings around the province last year. Went to the one in the EK and listened to him now he says numbers have
    been declining for years. I can only guess that money changes peoples opinion.
    The only thing that looses in this whole thing is the wildlife. We need a conservation minded organization.

Quote Originally Posted by LBM View Post
    Ungulate numbers have been decreasing in parts of the EK for 30 plus years, and as you say here it wasn't a wolf problem.
    The decreasing numbers have even been brought up on here but some of the bigger BCWF supporters on here said there was no problems
    in the EK it was just the people didn't no how to hunt. Its funny how one of the main guys saying this is now paid by the BCWF and is
    there spokes person holding meetings around the province last year. Went to the one in the EK and listened to him now he says numbers have
    been declining for years. I can only guess that money changes peoples opinion.
    The only thing that looses in this whole thing is the wildlife. We need a conservation minded organization.
    Maybe he read a scientific study that told him wildlife was crashing and wolves were contributing to the crash.
    Anything less than science is nothing more than anecdotal BS.

Quote Originally Posted by bearvalley View Post
    Anything less than science is nothing more than anecdotal BS.
    Unfortunately not entirely true. People have placed too much credence in science when their track record is far from impeccable.

Science has been proven to be incorrect numerous times throughout history. As new information becomes available, scientific theories have changed and evolved.

The flat earth, Thalidomide and the ping ponging ideas on the benefits/dangers of cows milk come immediately to mind.

At one time Science claimed that Heroin was a wonder drug that cured all. Bayer marketed the drug for years.

Science is not the be all and end all. It is only a culmination of the best information available and best thinking of the day and is subject to change and correction as more information becomes available.

I think that Science sometimes tends to complicate the simple and obvious.
    "Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donel fat"

Quote Originally Posted by labguy View Post
    Unfortunately not entirely true. People have placed too much credence in science when their track record is far from impeccable.

Science has been proven to be incorrect numerous times throughout history. As new information becomes available, scientific theories have changed and evolved.

The flat earth, Thalidomide and the ping ponging ideas on the benefits/dangers of cows milk come immediately to mind.

At one time Science claimed that Heroin was a wonder drug that cured all. Bayer marketed the drug for years.

Science is not the be all and end all. It is only a culmination of the best information available and best thinking of the day and is subject to change and correction as more information becomes available.

I think that Science sometimes tends to complicate the simple and obvious.

Well said Labguy, science also has a habit of being skewed to the researcher's beliefs somewhat also.

I think bearvalley was a bit tongue in cheek with his comments.

My comment was made in complete sarcasm as gcreek pointed out.
    We can scientifically study wildlife issues until we are all blue in the face.
    If a “fix” is never applied the problem only grows.