Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Another

Re: Another

Quote Originally Posted by TexasWalker View Post
    Yeah, common sense.
    There are so many contributing factors and such a lack of scientific studies that for you to make a statement like you did is just asinine.
    Over the last 10-15yrs the wolf population has steadily increased. Yes grizzly populations have increased but that has also caused the black bear population to decline.

We used to have tons of moose and elk in the upper elk valley. Over the last 5-8yrs the population has dropped drastically. Part of the reason the elk herd has declined is the 300 cow/calf tags per year for the last 10 years. Why the moose numbers have dropped.........predators!!!! There hasn't been a cow moose leh in over 25yrs.

Quote Originally Posted by mpotzold View Post
    Agree!

My take based on limited experience.
    Only considering 2 areas that we are familiar with. 1) region 5
    2) region 7(OMINECA)

1)Been hunting in region 5 west of W.L. mostly in 5-03 & immediate surroundings for 50 years & attribute the big drop in moose numbers mostly to bears, both grizz & black.
    In the last 10 years the bear numbers are way up from the 60’s, 70’s & 80’s & growing. The hunters we met/meet say the same thing. And we all know they are efficient calf killers. Read that a dog(wolf) sense of smell is 100X better than humans & the bear is 2100X.

Way more than we previously thought.
    (No doubt both wolves & lions, being predators are also responsible but to a much lesser degree!)

PROOF-Determining kill rates of ungulate calves by brown bears in Alaska using neck-mounted cameras-2017 article based on 2011 to 2013 mid May to end of June study.
    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/wsb.733/full
    A 10 year old male killed approximately 31 moose calves in 1 ½ months (2011)

2)Been hunting in the Omineca, mostly north of Vanderhoof & in 7-38 for 50 years + & attribute the dwindling moose numbers to poor management(Omineca model 1981), indiscriminate year round slaughter, night hunting & to a much lesser degree wolf/bear predation.

I just wanted to say thanks for posting this study. I'm reading through this now... I know bears are predators but I had no idea they could hammer ungulates this hard. I will definitely be working much harder from here on out to fill some bear tags too. I've been meaning to get more into bear hunting and I think reading this really helped light a fire under my feet. I encourage everyone to take a quick read of this study, very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
    I have to agree with gcreek about the decline of ungulates. Wolves abound everywhere throughout the province and any hunter that has the opportunity to take down a wolf or wolves is doing us all a disfavor. You see one, you stroke it. Worry about what to do with the critter after the fact.
    Talk to you local trapper, he will likely take it off your hands. Don't know you local trapper, phone the BC Trappers Association @
    Phone: 250-962-5452.
    Speak to Alana and she will set you on the right course to a trapper(s) nearest you.

Did hell freeze over? LOL, We agreed. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gcreek View Post
    Other than the LML,where aren't they an issue or an increasing issue? Ten years ago I was told on here that they weren't a problem in the Okanagan or the Kootenays. That has changed drastically from what I read here now. Most coming from Cariboo and Chilcotin and north are saying no game where there were lots a few short years ago. All they see are wolf tracks.

You say they aren't an issue in the province. I say open your eyes and look around.

Maybe some have different views because that is where the money is............
    Re read the post you quoted and the last line for sure

Predator issues are out there but not everywhere. If I was not half asleep from long night shifts I would go into more detail

I am not blind to the effects of predators. From trapping I notice sign of them faster then most huntiers as well so don't think I rely on sightings alone

[QUOTE=j270wsm;1946688]Over the last 10-15yrs the wolf population has steadily increased. Yes grizzly populations have increased but that has also caused the black bear population to decline.

Black BEAR population is at its HIGHEST EVER ! Many Many BBs need to be KIlled ! RJ

Look at the LM Region, when it comes to elk.
    Virtually no predation going on, and they are doing well, and seems that their #'s are expanding each year.
    Granted, it seems Grizz are expanding into the area as well, but as of yet, there doesn't seem to be anything bothering the elk.
    No wolves around here yet!.
    Just watch how efficient a wolf pack, even just a few can take down a bull elk, a healthy one, with the help of snow.
    YouTube it, you will see.
    Wolves may not be the only factor the wildlife's demise here in many parts of BC, but they sure are a big concern.
    So are BBear, Cougars, and GBears, and when just a few of those "lock-on" to a certain food source, and find an efficient way to take it, they repeat it many times over in a year, and they also can do some damage to populations.
    Why the arguing here????no idea??
    Hope you drop em all up there Gcreek....best of luck to you, and however you do it.

Look at reintroduction of elk into Kentucky. Stunning success. Like the LML, no real predators. Predators clearly have a place on the landscape, but we can't pretend they avoid eating animals because the prey animals are threatened.
    Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Chipman View Post
    Look at reintroduction of elk into Kentucky. Stunning success. Like the LML, no real predators. Predators clearly have a place on the landscape, but we can't pretend they avoid eating animals because the prey animals are threatened.
    I wonder if the US govt will get the bright idea to move wolves east next.

Quote Originally Posted by gcreek View Post
    I wonder if the US govt will get the bright idea to move wolves east next.
    Don't think the wolves would have a chance in Kentucky...
    Everyone there on their 1st birthday gets a gun!

[QUOTE=REMINGTON JIM;1946750]
    Quote Originally Posted by j270wsm View Post
    Over the last 10-15yrs the wolf population has steadily increased. Yes grizzly populations have increased but that has also caused the black bear population to decline.

Black BEAR population is at its HIGHEST EVER ! Many Many BBs need to be KIlled ! RJ
    i used to hunt black bears every spring. Over the last 10yrs as I was noticing more Grizzlies I was noticing less and less black bears. Granted I haven't actually hunted black bears in 2-3yrs, I haven't been seeing any while out getting fire wood or going for drives to look for bears. Next spring I guarantee that I will kill at least one bear.