Thread: Heading Into the Hills This Weekend

Heading Into the Hills This Weekend

Only have a couple of days to hunt this year and this Saturday is one of them, can't wait! Will take any buck I see just to fill the freezer. Was debating between region 8 and 3-12 anyone been up to the Pennask plateau this week, have the deer started to migrate out of that area?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Heading Into the Hills This Weekend

Mule deer or white tail? I've pulled a large WT buck and my group all tagged on mulies out in zone 8 ranges bordering 3 on the south end.. Won't give you honey holes but for limited time I'd head that way, I do a lot of odd jobs out the penask way and it has been an absolute gong show the last few weeks with trailers parked all over the grass lands and quads and trucks on all roads an through the grasses like they aren't supposed to be.. only other place I've seen lots of activity so far is east of Boston bar, not more than than km or 2 off off Highway and the has been lots of mule bucks moving down. I haven't seen anything bigger than a three pointer In the open though.

Thank you for the response, I will take either species and with only one day to hunt I'm not going to waste it in the truck , not too fussed about size just looking for a meat buck so a fork or three is fair game. Good luck if you're heading out this weekend!

I will be out Saturday and sunday, in the same area, taking a fellow in my group of 4, that still has two tags, and hungry mouths to feed at home.. hope for a cold wet day out there and that should get the bucks moving.. I've been going out each night after work scouting and have not seen much movement since it warmed back up a bit, I bagged both my mule buck and WT in snow of some sort.. MD in about an inch of fresh powder at 1400m, and a WT buck in hail/sleet on a dark cloudy day..

One other thing I have noticed over the last 2 weeks is big mature bucks moving prior to legal shooting time.. but young bucks staying bedded until after sunrise then browsing until as late as noon.. and coming back out again as early as 4, though I only catch a glimpse of mature ones as I'm driving home that evening with my lights on, during not legal time.

Best of luck saturday and be sure to post here when you bag your buck! Remember WT doe Is open in zone 3 as well, and I'm pretty sure 8.. but you'll want to double check.
    Cheers.

Hope you had a good weekend out in the bush, the weather on Saturday was cold and windy in 8-08, between my buddy and I we saw about 40 deer. He was able to take his first buck, a 4 point whitetail and I came pretty close to getting a little mulie buck. I decided to pass on a whitetail doe on Sunday morning as I was pretty far from the road and had to drive back to Vancouver. Overall it was a great trip!