Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Cut your tag when??

Re: Cut your tag when??

Quote Originally Posted by ASPEN View Post
    On a hunting trip - buck down , shooter went to town and did not come back-why is irrelevant at this point . We were leaving next day and the fella with tag was not present so we thought best to cut another to cover ( not much choice) On way home we "found" lost tag holder hunter and shortly after got stopped in game check- Fined for having extra cut tag and no animal present even after explaining incident.
    did you go to court and fight this ticket?? Curious what the outcome would have been if the charge was fought

This really shouldn't be so complicated.

On the old HL booklets it said quite clearly "Pre cancellation of a tag is an offense" Now, why someone would say "I'm going deer hunting today so I will cut my tag this morning" I don't know. I don't know why pre cancellation is an offense, but it is.

So it's really easy to figure out- cut your tag when you are standing on top of the animal, not before.

If yiou shoot an animal and wound it and it escapes, if you shoot an animal and it falls into a cavern or into a river and gets washed away or a grizzly claims it before you get there, then no, you don't cut your tag.

If you feel that you have killed an animal but you can't recover it because it dropped off a cliff or into a river, then just stop hunting for that species. Actually cutting your tag is to make a point is meaningless.

Every year there are hunters that hit an animal and despite many attempts, don't recover it. There is alwasy some idiot who says "you need to cut your tag" Well, no, you don't need to. It's actually illegal to do so. So don't.

If, between your shot and you arriving at the animal, a grizz jumps on it, then again- don't cut your tag. If you get to your moose, you cut your tag. If a grizz claims it overnight, then that's a crappy deal but it is what it is.

I"m sure it has happened, but how frequent is a grizz jumping a carcassin between the shot and the hunter arriving at the animal? Like I said, someone must be bored as eff is this is actually a real discussion.
    Last edited by Gateholio; 10-21-2017 at 11:54 PM.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    why would you cut your tag if you didn't recover the animal???
    Exactly ! and if i walked up on a BEAR eating my Moose i would SHOOT that Bast*ard dead there too ! jmo RJ

I hit a deer in Kamloops tonight on the hwy in front of Lafarge.
    Do I have to cut my muley tag?
    It was a doe so I'm really confused how to punch my tag because there's no antlerless season here.
    Should I self report?

I call bullspit on the tales of charges for a cut tag and nothing to show. Charges were likely laid pertaining to something else that came about in conversation or confession.
    Having a cut tag may raise questions about where the meat is, leaning toward utilization, especially for those that have a trophy head and no or little meat.
    I could believe a charge for failing to produce or failing to retrieve, again hinged on utilization
    Another charge could be continuing to hunt for a critter that the hunter has already tagged out on, which is going toward bag limit rules, or hunting for something without an open tag.
    But for the simple act of cutting a tag?
    Last edited by boxhitch; 10-28-2017 at 04:02 AM.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

i had a dream last night about shooting this awesome 6x6 monster muley...it felt so real that i think i better go cut my tag right now....

I get the feeling that a lot of the answer are from people who have never cut a tag. That is understandable to a point. It is a very common sense question. If it is not a common sense question to you then I would suggest you take or retake the Core course. Come on people if you know the rules play by them. If you don't know the rules and you are still hunting then you are an idiot. I was going to be more gentle but really ? Read the regulations.

It says right on the back of the new tags that pre cancellation is an offence, shoot something and it gets away or something happens to it then don't cut it, pretty simple.

a more liklet scenario is shoot moose..cut tag..gutt moose go to get help and return to grizzly on it..that might be when a call to cos hoping for assistance...other than that unless you stand over it tag stays uncutt

It seems the original question is answered.

With the old fashioned booklets, we carried around cut tags, showing our record for the season. Now that the tags are individualized, I'm unsure whether it is proper to carry them all around (cut or otherwise) or pin them up in the fridge with a photo, once the meat is in the freezer.

It seems better to carry the previously cut tags around, to prove you're not harvesting two mulies in region X but I don't think this is mandated yet is it? One of the many items not yet thought through with the new digital system
    Last edited by Ryo; 10-30-2017 at 02:03 PM.