Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Cut your tag when??

Re: Cut your tag when??

If you can,t figure out when to cut your tag you should not be out hunting. Its pretty straightforward.Sometimes i wonder if half the people on this site have ever actually been hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyJack View Post
    No, I am saying that you are not legally required to have the carcass in your possession if your tag is cut. People are spreading stories about people getting ticketed for a cut tag with no game animal...young inexperienced hunters are reading these false statements...they don't equate that type of information as meaning you don't have the carcass because the bear beat you too it.
    I can’t tellnof you are being deliberately obtuse, or if you just have poor reading comprehension?

If you have a cancelled tag, and no animal to show for it, you are going to get a fine. If you have left an animal in camp, you can prove that by going there and showing that animal. If you have left it at the butcher, the butcher will have a record of the animal.

If you took a shot and are “pretty sure it should be dead so I cancelled my tag” you are in violation of the law. Is that clear enough?

Quote Originally Posted by KodiakHntr View Post
    I can’t tellnof you are being deliberately obtuse, or if you just have poor reading comprehension?

If you have a cancelled tag, and no animal to show for it, you are going to get a fine. If you have left an animal in camp, you can prove that by going there and showing that animal. If you have left it at the butcher, the butcher will have a record of the animal.

If you took a shot and are “pretty sure it should be dead so I cancelled my tag” you are in violation of the law. Is that clear enough?
    What law??
    Care to show us??

Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    This is the easiest topic ever, yet is always a shit fest when it comes up, which it does, often. Cut your tag when you get up to your animal, before you start processing it.

If you cannot recover animal for whatever reason (poor hit, goat fell off a cliff, grizzly found moose first and ate it), do not cut your tag. Make all efforts possible to recover, obviously. If ethically/morally you feel like you should cut your tag when you gut shoot a goat that falls off a cliff into a grizzlies den and the bear eats it all, do NOT cut your tag, but please feel free to pack up camp and drive home and go hunt another species
    Good advice.

what happens if a bear comes into camp and takes the animal?? Tag is cut and now you don't have anything to show for the cut tag......no different than shooting an animal at first light and then being stopped by a CO that night. I've been stopped a few times and they've never asked me where the animal is for my cut tags.

Quote Originally Posted by j270wsm View Post
    what happens if a bear comes into camp and takes the animal?? Tag is cut and now you don't have anything to show for the cut tag......no different than shooting an animal at first light and then being stopped by a CO that night. I've been stopped a few times and they've never asked me where the animal is for my cut tags.
    Completely different scenario!

Still have a tag that is cut and no animal to show for it!!

Guys are claiming that you will get fined if your tag is cut but don't have an animal to go with the tag. So how is this a completely different scenario??

I have never heard of anyone getting fined for having a tag cut and not being able to provide evidence that they recovered the animal.

why would you cut your tag if you didn't recover the animal???
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Double post.

I'm not saying that I would or that anyone should cut a tag if they don't recover the animal.

Im questioning the comments about getting fined for having a tag cut and no animal with you. I don't recall anything in the regs stating that it is illegal to cut your tag if you don't recover the animal. You might have a lot of explaining to do but the conservation officer also has to prove that you intentionally left meat in the bush.
    Last edited by j270wsm; 10-21-2017 at 09:42 PM.