Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cut your tag when??

Re: Cut your tag when??

Or looking for an excuse to kill two moose on one tag.. give an inch and they want a mile

fishing for info, specially if they cut up their own meat

slide one in under the radar, why not.... the FN get away with it
    "Golf, what a waste of a perfectly good rifle range"

I'm the one sitting in the cut block glassing all the animals you spooked and didnt see because you dont get out of your truck

13yrs and counting in Canadian Oil & Gas...

Ever watch how most all hunters walk up to a downed critter and give it a poke to confirm whether it is dead or playing possum? Must be a reason for that
    Ever get to a spot where you swore you saw an animal drop and its not there, and a search turns up nothing ?
    Ever get off a supposed-perfect shot, only to have the critter keep on walking away ?
    Especially moose as they have a portion of the target area that can be hit enough to stun them yet not be a kill shot. Hunters aim for the hump thinking it is the backbone, or slip on into that small void between the top of the lungs and the spine.

All the discussions about wounded game say to not cut the tag til you put your hands on the carcass, same is true here.
    Last edited by boxhitch; 10-19-2017 at 12:22 AM.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Legally you dont have to cut tag till hands on the animal?

as much as you want the answer to be no ,its yes

It is only legal to cut a tag upon retrieval of the animal. That said, I think one should "mentally cut" the tag if they killed the animal. Don't hunt for or shoot another (unless you have another tag that isn't mentally/morally cut)

Page 8:

Licence Cancellation:
    It is unlawful to be in possession of a big game animal without a properly cancelled species licence or otherwise by licence, permit, or as provided by regulation. Any person who kills any big game species must immediately after the kill and before handling the big game killed, cancel the appropriate species licence in accordance with the instructions on that licence.
    Once you have verified that the animal has been killed, before you start "handling" the animal, you must tag out.

Good question, and a valid one, as what the instructors of the CORE course teach isn't always right. In my opinion, if you shoot, and eventually find the animal, regardless if a predator is on it or not, your tag must be cut. Simple.

Here we go with the other side. During my CORE course, the instructor said if you shoot an animal and are confident you hit it, but are unable to locate it, it is our responsibility to cut your tag. His words, not mine. Based on this, I cut a tag on an animal I wasn't able to find. And sure enough, we hit a game check on the way home from that trip. Of course, the CO picked up on a cut tag and no animal to show for it. After letting me sweat it out or about 20 minutes, and threatening all sorts of action against me, he realized I was trying to do the right thing, and let me go. That said, I will never again cut a tag if I don't have my hands on the animal (or just before I touch it as the manual says).

I was always told when I pull out my knife to start gutting to cut the tag before the hide.

As others have said, if you do not retrieve your animal, do not cut your tag. In the eyes of a CO, if you have a cut tag and no animal, you have failed to retrieve and remove the edible portions.

You cut your tag, when you arrive at the animal, confirm it is yours and dead, prior to commencing the process of butchering. If you walk up to where it dropped and a predator claimed it, do not cut your tag.

Ethically, you may feel poorly about shooting an animal and failing to recover it and you have a choice not to hunt that species any longer, but cutting your tag without having the animal in your possession is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Huevos View Post
    That would be poor luck to have a grizz on it even before you get to it! Has this ever happened? I mean what is an average moose shot out to? Most moose I see die are under 60 yards. Even at 600, that is nuts to have a bear on it in under 20 minutes. And yes, cut the tag.
    Lots of people end up shooting at last light and don't find the animal until first light the next morning.

I use the same knife to cut my tag and butcher the animal in that order.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?