Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Cut your tag when??

Re: Cut your tag when??

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    Hmm cut tag..self report to conservation officer..ask for extenuating circumstances..new tag request..all they can say is no..
    Steven
    No, just no. If the animal is not in your possession you do not cut your tag.
    "The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom."

On a hunting trip - buck down , shooter went to town and did not come back-why is irrelevant at this point . We were leaving next day and the fella with tag was not present so we thought best to cut another to cover ( not much choice) On way home we "found" lost tag holder hunter and shortly after got stopped in game check- Fined for having extra cut tag and no animal present even after explaining incident.

Quote Originally Posted by Roboduck View Post
    I was always told when I pull out my knife to start gutting to cut the tag before the hide.
    That's what I do.

I only cut my tag when I'm on top of the animal. Confirmed its dead and about to start to gut it. If a bear beats me to it, I won't cut my tag. Who's to say it was the bear that killed that animal and not me? They kill moose all the time you know...

My buddy shot a little whitetail a few year back. We both saw it drop after the shot. He went and grabbed his pack from the truck, cut his tag and over we went. We were shocked it wasn't lying dead after the way it dropped. We searched and searched. Nothing. Never did recover that deer. Partner was pretty upset. Not because he cut his tag but because he lost the animal. In any case, things happen. You don't need to cut your tag until you are at the animal. If you lose an animal and have feelings off guilt, good. This is normal and nothing to be embarrassed about. Just proves you have some respect for the animal you are hunting.
    If you want to pick yourself up and keep hunting, good on you. If you choose to pack it in and consider your tag filled, good on you. To each his own.
    Last edited by Ron.C; 10-19-2017 at 01:52 PM.

Seems as though no matter what you do, the CO will ticket you. We are getting closer every day to being forced to lie. Hard working honest people turned into criminals.

Quote Originally Posted by Kami View Post
    Seems as though no matter what you do, the CO will ticket you. We are getting closer every day to being forced to lie. Hard working honest people turned into criminals.
    Cut the tag as you stand by the animal just before you start cutting and you really shouldn't have any problems

Quote Originally Posted by Morleystw View Post
    Just got off the other forum,the debate is if you shoot a moose and before you get to it a grizzly claims it.do you have to legally cut your tag or not??thanks.
    2 for one deal. Great tasting meat and a grizz rug.

Honestly........chances a bears gets there before you are extremely slim. But if it did I'd do whatever I had to in an attempt to get my moose.

Chances are if a Grizz does move in on your kill its gonna when you're in the middle of gutting it (they're sneaky like that), so you'll have already cut your tag anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdoggdon View Post
    Chances are if a Grizz does move in on your kill its gonna when you're in the middle of gutting it (they're sneaky like that), so you'll have already cut your tag anyway.
    ... and then you shoot the Grizz in self defence.