Thread: What area to try for GOS Moose?

Central Vancouver Island and North Island part time:)

What area to try for GOS Moose?

So, long story short, none of my hunting partners can get away this year, usually it is the wife, but with her busy work schedule the way it is, no go. My unexpected work schedule has kept me from the usual dates that I have gone in the past (first two weeks of October), but I still plan on going myself (was a solo hunter before the wife started hunting with me). Since I am by myself and have the opportunity to try different areas this year, I am undecided to where I should go during last ten days of GOS moose season.

I have spent time in 6-01, 7-27, 7-18, 7-19 in the past, but was thinking of trying somewhere else this year, I know it is a little late in the planning but I have at least 10 days to do some traveling around. I drive a 4x4 diesel with a small 8' camper on the back and tow a Sami around behind me. The two area's that I was thinking about was the top half of MU-6 (any bull) or the NE part of MU-7b (Fort Nelson area).

Having never hunted those area's before, have a couple of questions on each, not in hunting specifics, but mostly if the areas are hunter-friendly (areas to avoid?), has the ground started to harden up (have experienced the gumbo during the rains), and how is the traffic on HWY 37?

Flipped a coin a few years ago when I reached PG, might have to do that again LOL. Still haven't connected with a moose yet, this will be year 5, but my luck could change this year Thanks and good luck to those out in the bush, wishing I was out there right now.

Regards,

Sidekick

2. Site Sponsor

Re: What area to try for GOS Moose?

It gets busy up here in 6 for the GOS, but that doesn't bother me. I like the fact that it's any bull. I've hunted here the last 8 years??? and I'm running 50% I think, just missing out last year on a nice young one. No doubt though, it has been a tougher slog the last few years, and there are definite signs, or lack of, of fewer moose. Best of luck to you.
    The measure of a man is not how much power he has, it's how he wields it.

Re: What area to try for GOS Moose?

I work out of Fort St. John and just heading back tomorrow and from what I see it hasn't harden up yet. Over the next week overnight lows of 0 to -2 and days in the pluses so it's going to be mucky. Might be a little colder in Ft. Nelson but I know I'll be slinging chains to get around for the next while.
    "It is better to be tried by twelve than carried by six" author Jeff Cooper
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors - Plato

Firearm Legal Defence insured, Member of the CCFR