Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wolves in the Tuchodi

Wolves in the Tuchodi

We all hope to do well on our hunts and dream about the big ones, but this years dream didn't happen. I posted earlier that I drew my dream hunt LEH Grizz in 7-50 as well as a cow Elk in the same area. I have hunted the area every year for almost ten years and have had good success as long as I put in the work. This year it was like a vacuum went over the valley. I didn't see any game at all, except one small group of goats. It was also way to hot as well which had an affect on things.

What I did see was lots of wolf kills. We could hear wolves howling all day and all night. They were particularly active at night, you could actually hear the animals stampeding in the forest behind out camp on more then one occasion.

Did any of you Tuchodi area hunters experience the same? How about other areas in general?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Wolves in the Tuchodi

Huge loss of all animal sign on our recent trip in the Muskwa as well. We were lucky enough to the pull the trigger and within 2 minutes a pack of wolves started howling below us. We heard them most nights at camp as well. Talked with a group that comes up throughout the year and spends time shed hunting in the spring but they were also seeing extremely low shed finds this year but tons of wolf sign. We also saw wolf tracks at every beach we got off the boat. It is a problem there as well, no question.
    Tick tock, tick tock...waiting for hunting season...

Very slow where we were up north.
    Covered and glassed way too much territory to see what we saw.
    Wolf tracks everywhere. Saw one very well fed pack of twelve.
    Was a bit on the warm side, but still seemed "vacuumed".
    Makes me wonder if we're going to have to wait for the "eat all the game , then starve" scenario to happen.
    How long does that take?
    I'm not getting any younger.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadshot View Post
    Makes me wonder if we're going to have to wait for the "eat all the game , then starve" scenario to happen.
    How long does that take?
    Time to plan a winter harvest. Pack out a few hundred wolf pelts.
    Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it.

Ayn Rand

If every HBC member put up $250 on an annual basis, could we buy and operate a helicopter? Under First Nations approval and protection from our own government of course...

Was up there in 2015 and wolves seemed bad then. One in our group got a shot at 1 of them only found fur no blood. I saw one about 50 yards out but it disappeared before I got the rifle shouldered. Amazingly steathly animal. Heard them howling often and any game we were on went silent as soon as the wolves started. Luckily found a valley they were not in and harvested the moose in my profile pic

We hunted the Tuchodi as well and found at least 15 wolf kills all in a 1 km spot on the river. This is a spot where the elk winter and it was evident that the wolves had their way. I personally have never hunted as hard as we did and only encountered elk twice. I have spoken to at least three other groups that had similar results.

Same here, hunted up there for 8 days, nothing but wolves all around us.
    No animal taken..
    Also talked to a group who hunted for 10 days, one cow Elk amongst the 4 of them.
    Trudeau is a Neya Noonan Utim Tugeye

Quote Originally Posted by Deadshot View Post
    How long does that take?
    Exactly.....waiting for the natural cycle takes too long....

never gonna happen mylie cyrus is gonna feed them through the tough times !!