Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Wolves in the Tuchodi

Re: Wolves in the Tuchodi

I have seen a very similar "emptiness" of moose around PG and Houston the last 5 years. Even 3 yrs ago on the Dease river things were much slower than previously.

Went up Tuchodi for the first time in 2014, lots of grizz sign, no wolf sign. A few caribou, a few sheep, a couple deer, and a handful of elk we saw the whole time.
    2015 my Dad went up with a buddy of his, wolf sign everywhere, wolves howling every night, he put a stalk on the pack during the day but couldn't close the deal. Didn't see more than a few elk the whole trip.
    2016 all three of us were there (still have to get around to writing up that story), lots of wolf and grizz sign, no sightings though. We saw maybe 30 elk total and 2 or 3 deer, nothing else. A grizz ripped up the ground by one of our carcasses and carried the thing clean away, we couldn't find it anywhere. Ran into the outfitter on top of a knob and the hunter he was with had a bear tag, said there was quite a few big bears in the area and that the wolves were hammering the place pretty bad.

2014 had a moose draw by Williams Lake, was there 5 days, saw one deer, two moose. Everywhere I let out a moose call, I had an almost immediate response of howling by wolves/coyotes, and lots of them, although no sightings.

Lots of proof here fokes....wait not scientific tho. OMG no PHD.....how can it be true??? Predators are the problem. Lots of hungry mouths chewing. Ungulates are f’d with no help.

All this action is what a predator hunter dreams about. A FoxPro caller or even hand calls of rabbit distress or wolf calls by your mouth can all call in the wolves. Howl back and they may show themselves enuf for a shot. More needs to be done to target predators if we as hunters want to continue to be successful, not just in the winter but all year when we can.

Crappy to hear the Serengeti of the north is no longer. Have read old books about how the old time trappers of the northern BC would poison, trap and shoot wolves from aircraft and after they harvested many of the wolves during the winter the populations of all ungulates increased bigtime.. Ive often have heard about good hunters who usually get success north who are coming home skunked recently..

Good luck to all the predator hunters and hopefully can get out there as much as possible.

Thought this one was due for a bump.....
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

Was in 7-50 for an elk hunt this past September. Saw pack of 11 wolves tear across mountain side, covered an unbelievable amount of ground in no time. No chance at a shot they were 2kms away. Grizz too (no LEH draw for any of us). More predators than seen in many 7-50 trips.

SB

It used to be good hunting up there, so sad to hear the wolves have ruined it.