Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wolves in the Tuchodi

Re: Wolves in the Tuchodi

Hunted 7-24 this year and heard wolves almost every night. buddy tried calling them in but they wouldn't break the tree line, howling like crazy, freaky. Usually hunt north of Fort St. John, and hear wolves up there at night also. Had a wolf come in to my cow call two years ago, shot it at 14 yrds. The game is hiding deep in the bush, we would need to shoot a lot of wolves to turn things around.

I heard 50 wolves were trapped/shot out of the Tuchodi valley in the winter of '15/'16. Apparently that wasn't enough.

hunted the upper Muskwa for last 32 years we just about always passed up shooting the first week so we didn't have to come out early & always limited out. this year 4 of us up 14 days & only saw 1 cow elk & 2 cow moose came out skunked. Wolves were howling every night. 1 couple that shed hunts said they saw wolf scat that had wolf hair in it. Maybe they are running out of food & eating each others. Has any onr heard of Wolf Canibalism?

3 of us hunted Tuchodi last year and had 2 wolf encounters.

First was on day 2 we were charged by a wolf who came to our cow calls but as soon we he saw us/we saw him he took off as fast as he came in. We heard howling in the valley for a few minutes but that was the last we saw/heard of them.

A few days later we saw two on the opposite side of the river and they had a cow elk cornered in the river. They spooked (found out about 15 seconds later it was because they heard a jet boat coming up river before we did) but I managed to drop one, my buddy missed the other.

One less wolf on the Tuchodi.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jEIf7LEb.jpg 
Views:	983 
Size:	8.5 KB 
ID:	6528  

^^^^very nice wolf, congrats...

Quote Originally Posted by kendoo View Post
    hunted the upper Muskwa for last 32 years we just about always passed up shooting the first week so we didn't have to come out early & always limited out. this year 4 of us up 14 days & only saw 1 cow elk & 2 cow moose came out skunked. Wolves were howling every night. 1 couple that shed hunts said they saw wolf scat that had wolf hair in it. Maybe they are running out of food & eating each others. Has any onr heard of Wolf Canibalism?
    Let's hope the predator pit is occuring and we'll see a major drop off I hope..

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    ^^^^very nice wolf, congrats...
    YUP Because hes DEAD ! RJ

Pulled one six by six out of there this year... lots wolf sign and heard them lots called them close but no shot presented saw a few elk not piles

This year because i still had plenty of moose meat left i decided to concentrate on predators during our annual hunting trip.I stopped in at Cabelas on the way north bought a fancy predator call and as luck would have it i was watching the edge of a piece of timber actually hoping a deer would come out.Just before Dusk a pack of 6 wolves came out of the timber and straight in my direction they were going to run into me for sure so i unloaded my clip into them hitting two for sure and maybe more . I did get out each night after that with the call and pulled in 2 lynx though not in season. Never really liked hunting deer in the evening so now i predator hunt instead.
    BCWF
    CCFR

“I prefer the saddle to the streetcar and star sprinkled sky to a roof, the obscure and difficult trail, leading into the unknown, to any paved highway, and the deep peace of the wild to the discontent bred by cities…it is enough that I am surrounded by beauty.”
    - Everett Ruess

Spent 9 days on the Tuchodi this year. Wolves were calling most nights. Both sides of the river.
    On our hikes off, up and down river we saw around 18 cow elk and one moose. Did not have a LEH.
    The elk did seem to be more nervous than last year.
    Watched a grizzly chow down on an elk carcass (hunter kill). Then spent quite a while watching it cover the meat.
    Great trip in all though no meat for the freezer.