Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wolves in the Tuchodi

Re: Wolves in the Tuchodi

hunted 7-11 in the moose rut, didn't see or hear a bull .saw 1 cow in full heat for 2 days right in the middle of a large slash .absolutely no sign of moose,very few wolf . I think the wolfs have completely wiped out the area and have moved on.moved from 6-04 to 7-11 but pretty much the same

Quote Originally Posted by Deadshot View Post
    Very slow where we were up north.
    Covered and glassed way too much territory to see what we saw.
    Wolf tracks everywhere. Saw one very well fed pack of twelve.
    Was a bit on the warm side, but still seemed "vacuumed".
    Makes me wonder if we're going to have to wait for the "eat all the game , then starve" scenario to happen.
    How long does that take?
    I'm not getting any younger.
    Its too bad they are so mobile. They'll clean out one area and then move on to the next.
    Same scenario in much of Western North America right now.

The great Yellowstone experiment has been one massive over-achievement......just like doing a prescribed burn in August.

SSS
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

Seems to be the same story all through Region 7b. We hunted the Halfway area and saw 1 moose and nothing else. Hunted Nig creek with my wife and saw exactly 1 cow moose.
    There are practically no whitetails left on my farm near Buick. As some of you know, this used to be a great area for big bucks.
    Like someone said, there seems to be an animal "vacuum" out there!
    Are there other factors out there besides the wolf devastation???

That country between the prophet and tuchodi used to be the true Serengeti of the north. If as bad as I'm reading a true shame. So much great country.

I wonder how all the outfitters are doing? Any body hear how there seasons went? They must be scared the wolves will gain a larger sheep appetite.
    "It's not a sport, it's a way of life. Enjoy every moment and every moment is a reward. Taking an animal is the objective but pleasure is found in the entire experience." - J_T

I talked with a guide from 7-42 and he said game numbers were down from wolf kills. Seems to be all over that country

Some on here would disagree with the "anecdotal" evidence presented here. You folks can rest assured I'm not one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by hellojello74 View Post
    That country between the prophet and tuchodi used to be the true Serengeti of the north. If as bad as I'm reading a true shame. So much great country.

I wonder how all the outfitters are doing? Any body hear how there seasons went? They must be scared the wolves will gain a larger sheep appetite.

Not sure about the moose, but elk were being killed at the tops of mountains a lot the last couple of years according to an outfitter and guide from the area. Only legal bull we saw last year was on a peak.
    WSSBC Monarch Silver Member
    WSF Summit Life Member
    RMGA Life Member

The mountains are calling and I must go - John Muir

Quote Originally Posted by pg83 View Post
    Not sure about the moose, but elk were being killed at the tops of mountains a lot the last couple of years according to an outfitter and guide from the area. Only legal bull we saw last year was on a peak.
    Tompkins & Omestead (outfitters) have not been using there areas in the upper Muskwa for the last 3 or 4 years. WHY? No animals. Pack rats have taken over Omsteads camp at Grizzly lake

Quote Originally Posted by kendoo View Post
    Tompkins & Omestead (outfitters) have not been using there areas in the upper Muskwa for the last 3 or 4 years. WHY? No animals. Pack rats have taken over Omsteads camp at Grizzly lake
    Interesting spent a bit of time there but been awhile ago, seen some very nice moose and rams in the area quit often right from the cabin.

Quote Originally Posted by kendoo View Post
    Was In upper muskwa this fall for a couple weeks. Yep animals were scarce and what was around was in the thick thick way off the river. Interesting that when we came over the ridge to grizzly lake, there was a tin bin cruising across the lake propelled by an out board?!?! WTF? All we needed to see to not head up that way.
    Heard wolves often this trip. Tracks and shit everywhere. No sightings.
    Got 1 5x6 Elk between 4 of us in 12 days up there. Only had very few bulls come into cow calls far off the river in the thick. And only a handfull of elk sighted at all. I may have counted 10-12 elk in the entire trip.
    saw about 10 moose, no bears at all.
    Compared to as close as 4 years ago where I could count up to 30 animals a day.
    those days of the "Serengeti of the North" are no longer. Very sad.

Also have not seen River Jet Adventures ( Kevin Willis- packer) run his boat above Alligator alley before. He had a camp of 9 guys up in the burn?!?! Pretty big crew in the patch...