Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Heaters and Whitetail Blinds

Re: Heaters and Whitetail Blinds

Quote Originally Posted by J_T View Post
    Or dress warmer.

We sit in treestands for up to 5 hours at -30. Use warm clothes, layers and add hot packs on the thighs, small of the back and hands.
    The heater weighs less than all that !!
    I prefer the Pina Coloda approach.
    You know a blind is warm enough when you are debating putting on sunscreen.

Kidding aside J-T, I appreciate your conviction.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

Or dress warmer.

We sit in treestands for up to 5 hours at -30. Use warm clothes, layers and add hot packs on the thighs, small of the back and hands.

The visual and added shot opportunities you get from a tree stand are worth it that's why I suck it up and deal with the cold as well. Only difference we stay in stand for all daylight hours cold as hell or not. Too many deer been shot at odd ball hours of the day

But the abuse given by the rest of the crew to the first man to cave from the cold gives you the motivation to stick it out lol

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    sitting for 5 hrs in -30 i'd be sticking those hot packs on like krusty the clown and nicotine patches

I have looked similar to that after a day on stand on a cold northern Alberta hunt lol

Or dress warmer.

5 hours is decent but doesn't compare with staying out dark to dark and being comfortable.
    "The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom."

Quote Originally Posted by HighCountryBC View Post
    5 hours is decent but doesn't compare with staying out dark to dark and being comfortable.
    Comfort of a blind is way better than a stand but the shooting lanes a stand offers make it worth it. Stand also increase the number of places you can hunt where you would lack visual in a blind

It can be hell to sit on stand all day but if it increases success rate you spend less days in the cold. I am an all day hunter so understand how much it can suck in the cold

it all comes down to are the advantages worth the discomfort to you personally. For my self and most of my crew blinds are for locations that lack good trees

your personal call and what your willing to endure if a stand makes you leave your spot early a blind is better

with those little Colman heaters little green bottle gives you 8hrs so bring 2 for all day really cold sits

There are hand warmers..stainless steel filled with Rossignol lighter fluid..lasts 12 hours..warm reliable..one in each chest pocket next to torso. .core temp.
    Srupp

Quote Originally Posted by HighCountryBC View Post
    We do sit all day dark to dark. Not all the time. We dont find it efficient. I didnt think you guys wanted hear how tough bowhunters are.
    m
    Most newcomers to camp and the late season are always caught a bit surprised with how cold it really is. The colder it is, the less you move. The field of vision is smaller. And the eyelashes tend to freeze.
    Last edited by J_T; 10-18-2017 at 05:05 PM.

We do sit all day dark to dark. Not all the time. We dont find it efficient. I didnt think you guys wanted hear how tough bowhunters are.
    m
    Most newcomers to camp and the late season are always caught a bit surprised with how cold it really is. The colder it is, the less you move. The field of vision is smaller. And the eyelashes tend to freeze.
    Hunters are hunters in my eyes. I don't discriminate.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    Comfort of a blind is way better than a stand but the shooting lanes a stand offers make it worth it. Stand also increase the number of places you can hunt where you would lack visual in a blind

It can be hell to sit on stand all day but if it increases success rate you spend less days in the cold. I am an all day hunter so understand how much it can suck in the cold

it all comes down to are the advantages worth the discomfort to you personally. For my self and most of my crew blinds are for locations that lack good trees

your personal call and what your willing to endure if a stand makes you leave your spot early a blind is better

with those little Colman heaters little green bottle gives you 8hrs so bring 2 for all day really cold sits
    Agree 100% with everything you've posted. I'm not new to the whitetail game and have hunted from a stand a fair bit. I appreciate the advantages it has to offer as far as shooting lanes and locations. As tough as I like to think I am, the comfort of a blind when its -25 (and colder!!!) is tough to pass up when the location allows it. The company appreciates it too as most that I bring in are not accustomed to sitting all day.

I have and will continue to hunt some of my areas from tree stand, others from a blind. The intention of this thread was simply to get some input on what heaters have worked for folks who have used them and what to stay away from.
    "The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom."

I bought the Big Buddy Heater with the dual burners and we hooked it up to a 20LB tank. Used it in our wall tent to flash heat the tent while waiting for the stove to warm up, and in the mornings to get some heat going instead of re-stoking the fire (and then having to wait around for the stove to subsequently cool off before leaving camp). It worked great, and we completely intended to hike in a blind + the heater to an area to sit in, but chose not to still hunt using a blind this year.

I do really want to try this though, I like the idea of Ourea's pina colada approach.

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    There are hand warmers..stainless steel filled with Rossignol lighter fluid..lasts 12 hours..warm reliable..one in each chest pocket next to torso. .core temp.
    Srupp
    You bet. Have a Zippo hand warmer that works amazing. Great for those cold days when you aren't moving.