Thread: Pse mustang for newbie

Pse mustang for newbie

What are your thoughts on this. Barely ever shot a bow before but want to learn. Not interested in compound

Budget limited so don't want a beginner now only to buy another in a year.

Most of the not for beginner stuff seems to revolve around lack of accessory like sights making it harder to shoot and learn this new archers give up. I'm pretty stubborn when I start something so that's not a concern.

Any other good sub 250 options?

Would be for primarily deer and recreational shooting.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Pse mustang for newbie

I actually shoot a mustang and I am impressed with it. They are not a pretty bow but have a nice draw and shoot well. I have a long draw and don't get any finger pinch

Great recurve to start with in my opinion

Thank you for the information. What draw weight do you use or would you suggest. I had been thinking 45

Quote Originally Posted by ducktoller View Post
    Thank you for the information. What draw weight do you use or would you suggest. I had been thinking 45
    When it comes to draw weight ignore what you legally need to hunt and start with what is comfortable to shoot. I am not going to recommend a weight instead recommend you test some recurves and choose what is honestly comfortable for you. Don't over bow yourself lighter is better

Trad is also way different than compound when it comes to draw. Compound I have shot bows with draw weights over 90# and trad 55-60# fits me right.

I have shot archery for over 20years but only about 6 years playing with trad bows so my info on trad is so so

would depend on your draw length...... 45# will make it hard to get into good habits when you're starting out. If you're over the 28" AMO thing that 45 with be 48 or 51 or what ever but if you've got short arms then it will be less

My generic advice is join your local club and use their gear with (hopefully) someone good watching over when you're new to this, its a game of habits and its best to start with good ones.

But, start light, the lighter the better even if you buy cheap and upgrade when you start feeling it.

Mustang is 60" right? Personally I'd go longer starting out, and I'd check classifieds or see if you can't find the discontinued Samick Journey (64") or similar. Short bows (on a budget) stack, give finger pinch and are unforgiving in the shot, but if you're a hobbit then it's not a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by OutsyderBC View Post
    would depend on your draw length...... 45# will make it hard to get into good habits when you're starting out. If you're over the 28" AMO thing that 45 with be 48 or 51 or what ever but if you've got short arms then it will be less

My generic advice is join your local club and use their gear with (hopefully) someone good watching over when you're new to this, its a game of habits and its best to start with good ones.

But, start light, the lighter the better even if you buy cheap and upgrade when you start feeling it.

Mustang is 60" right? Personally I'd go longer starting out, and I'd check classifieds or see if you can't find the discontinued Samick Journey (64") or similar. Short bows (on a budget) stack, give finger pinch and are unforgiving in the shot, but if you're a hobbit then it's not a problem.
    I'm 6"1 and fairly broad. I was always a better deadlifter than benchpresser if that says anything about my levers/arms.

3/4 of a degree North of 60, and a little west of 135

I'm about 6' and I shot this bow before i bought it for my daughter. For the price point i was impressed with how it shot. It will take a bit of fiddling to get it quiet but no worse than some higher end bows I've shot. My draw length is almost 30" and I didn't find it had finger pinch or stack. It had a pretty consistent weight gain over the length of my draw. As mentioned you're probably best to start with a 40#. You'll develop better habits and form and can always up grade the limbs at some point.

RC

I'm 6"1 and fairly broad. I was always a better deadlifter than benchpresser if that says anything about my levers/arms.
    If you're 6'1" and all things being equal then you'll be close to me and my draw is 29.5". In the past I have owned and shot some decent bows that were 60" long, which at the time I thought were awesome but really there weren't, they were way too short for the recreational/tournament shooter with a long draw. So that 45# will actually be likely over 50# if you look at the 2-3#/inch of draw gains without excessive stacking.

If you are just hunting and thinking things like blinds and stands then they'll do.

knowing what I know now, for me I wouldn't consider anything under 62" and that would be just for hunting, now its 64" and up and that's with high-end, butter smooth drawing limbs for everything else. I enjoy competitive shooting more than anything these days, hunting is only part of my game so take that for what it's worth.