Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Deer to prok ratio

Re: Deer to prok ratio

I often add pork to our ground. I add 10% to my burgers. Otherwise I find it too dry. Try it a few different ways until you get it the way that best suits you taste.

Hmmm i add 20% pork shoulder to burgers or sausage.if just pork fat..5%
    Steven

Quote Originally Posted by Island Idiots View Post
    The ratio I use is 100% Venison to 0% Pork. If I need to add fat, I would use chopped up bacon and add it.
    That's how I do it!
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

I’ve tried everything from 0 pork to 50% for sausage. I find for barbequing the burgers are a little dry if overcooked. 20% pork mixed in for barbequing seeems to be nice and juicy. And pork fat is best but ground pork works ok too. Just look for the fattiest ground pork as some of it is pretty lean.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    Mixing pork is blasphemy in my house
    Agreed. I much prefer without and I'll never take it mixed again. Just be mindful of your cooking time because it's not going to be long

I don't add pork to ground venison. I add an egg sometimes when making burgers and they stay together nicely. Instant read thermometer is your friend when cooking game. Overcooking is what dries it out I find.

We added pork to make hamburgers, and as Srupp said for the most part, and depending on whether you use pork fat or
    ground pork.
    I like my burgers a little on the juicy side.
    I can't always sit there and wait to "sear" the meat 1st before bbq'ing if I were grill burgers that were 100% game only.

I liked the line the butcher came back with when my buddy took some venison in to get sausages made up for his first time. The guy says ya I could take your organic lean meat and add some grain and hormone fed pork to it its your call. This was an old school german dude too not some elitist trendy shop. I agree with his take. Having said that I have added the odd strip of bacon into the grinder for like a 20-1 mix or something just for kicks some times..
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

Zero pork at our house. Meat doesn't keep as well in the freezer with the fat mixed in in our experience. If you want burgers just mix a bit of olive oil and/or other flavorings when making the patties.

moms trick was to shred some potato in with the burger mix to make it very moist and of course some egg to keep it stuck together zero pork ground into wild meat.....for some variety we will chop up a spicy sausage or two when frying it for spag sauce or chilli