Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Deer to prok ratio

Deer to prok ratio

I would like some feedback on what ratio of pork to venison you use. I typically take my animals to the butcher to grind amd add pork but this year i would like to do it myself.

Second question....If someone had to quarter the animal to get out of the bush and took home to butcher could they still take the meat to the butcher to grind?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Deer to prok ratio

Depends on how moist you like your burger (I'm assuming you aren't talking sausage as the amount varies on the type your making). I use 6% for lean and 8% pork fat normally and its not dry when cooked to done and not beyond.

Most butchers will cut and grind whatever you bring in as long as its clean and good meat.
    Last edited by tomahawk; 10-16-2017 at 07:54 AM.
    Their steaks, roasts and burger to me! Tom

80/20 to 60/40 depending on fat content of the pork. I use a 80/20 when using deer and bear

Is that pork fat or ground pork

I process all my own meat. I put 5lb of trim into a vacuum seal bags and throw it into the freezer until the end of the season. Thats when I take it in to get made into sausage. Butcher is not as busy and I know what i take in will be my meat coming back. For the most part I know that time of year he is not making 200lb batches of pepperoni and mixing my good meat with someone else's unknown.

I asked the guy one time what to put down as I did not know what the meat was (moose, mule or whitie) as the bags werent labeled properly and was probably a couple species there. He said just choose one as I did not have that much meat (30lbs). He said the problems arise when you bring in 200lbs of trim and only have a whitie tag cut.

BHB
    Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Are you M or F? Might get more takers with tits.

Mixing pork is blasphemy in my house

The ratio I use is 100% Venison to 0% Pork. If I need to add fat, I would use chopped up bacon and add it.
    " We must strive to touch the land gently and care for it as true stewards, that those who follow us and assess our record may see that our mark on the land was one of respect and love, not cruelty and disdain."

Robert B. Oetting

Proud BC Resident Hunter

If you're new to making sausage at home - start with this tutorial.

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes...emade_sausage/

Hank Shaw is likely the best web based resource for Wild Game Recipes. He's a trained chef, journalist and all around hunter.

https://honest-food.net/

Quote Originally Posted by Island Idiots View Post
    The ratio I use is 100% Venison to 0% Pork. If I need to add fat, I would use chopped up bacon and add it.
    I have never added pork to any game burger and don't understand why you would, personal preference I guess. If you haven't tried it before why not try 0% and see how it goes.
    Last edited by Rhyno; 10-16-2017 at 07:01 PM.
    KCCO

Agreed, no need to add pork or pork fat to burger. Moose, deer, bear are all excellent on their own. We make burgers, spaghetti sauce, shepherds pie, meat loaf etc etc with just the game meat. Great eats and no complaints from kids or wife, and trust me the wife is picky about taste.