Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Deer to prok ratio

Re: Deer to prok ratio

Don't add any fat when grinding trim it will go rancid with in six months and you'll have terrible tasting burger instead add pork sausage at time of cooking if needed for things such as hamburgers ,meat balls or anything that needs a binder if making tacos,spaghetti sauce,chilli or anything not needing a binder just a little oil in the pan to help with browning the meat

I dont use pork fat....doesn't keep as long in freezer. For deer sausage I mix with ham shoulder approx 75/25
    …..better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Speaking from lack of experience, I grind my own meat and do not mix with pork. Trim very well, grind and pack. If using for sauce, chili, etc. I use it as is. If making hamburgers or meal loaf, I mix 2 parts venison to 1 park ground pork. Just recently made my first batch of pepperoni, turned out great. In fact, my father in law, who usually spends about $30/lb for local organic pepperoni said my batch was the best he had tried. My mix was 3 parts venison to 2 parts pork.

Really quite inexperienced, have only been processing my own game for a 3 years.

No pork here either for mince. I tried it, but didn't care for it. Just don't overcook, like so many do, and you'll be good to go.