Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deer Species Licences

Deer Species Licences

Whats the reason for having two types of deer licences (White tail and Mule / Black tail.) Rather than just one?

Is it simply because they are a different species as the name implies or is there something I'm missing? Why not just lump them into the same license?

I don't hunt waterfowl but I don't think they have different species licenses?

I know grouse don't.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Lugg; 10-16-2017 at 08:00 AM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Deer Species Licences

Different management concerns between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    Different management concerns between the two.
    This is correct

So does this mean when we purchase a species license that the money goes towards management of that particular species? Be it Deer, Bear, Moose, etc?

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Lugg View Post
    So does this mean when we purchase a species license that the money goes towards management of that particular species? Be it Deer, Bear, Moose, etc?

Thanks again!
    Nope $ seems to be pissed away by govt instead

Quote Originally Posted by Lugg View Post

Thanks again!
    No, it mean that they treat them differently with season lengths, antler requirements and such. Take a look at the regs and you will see that the two species are handled differently with respect to hunting.
    If an animal is going to die so that I might live, the least I can do is perform the unsavoury deed myself.

Yes, the regs are different for each species, but it's a crock to have two different deer species tags. Cash grab in my opinion.

the money has for years gone into general revenue, with only a "minimal percentage" going to supposed "habitat conservation"

I believe all of it is now to go to the "habitat fund", or at least that was the last I heard....
    not sure if that was implemented yet, or will be for next year or at all?

Yes there is different management concerns but that doesn't really justify having to buy a separate tag. Have one type of deer tag and mark on it if you harvest a whitetail or mulie just like having to mark if the harvest was antlered or antlerless. I would think it is just a cash grab but was told it may be a way of measuring the popularity of the whitetail hunt. Do you have to buy separate tags to hunt Dall, Stone or Bighorn sheep?

Quote Originally Posted by bang flop View Post
    Yes, the regs are different for each species, but it's a crock to have two different deer species tags. Cash grab in my opinion.
    It was not always that way. once upon a time, when the earth was green, the sky blue and the water clean, you bought a deer tag for a deer. The somebody said, "let us try to sell individual deer species tags and see if the dumbass hunters will buy into it." And lo, they did and the government got more money for MLA pensions.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"